Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

X-10 transmitter / Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

marxmax

Does anyone have the exprience of X10 Tx or Rx. I am thinking of doing a X10 project. I am just wondering whether it will work in between houses. What i mean is something like controlling a device in a neighbouring house. Will the signal flow through the power lines to next house? If it is possible then it will be a good idea to build an telephone extension between two houses using X10.

marxmax said:
Does anyone have the exprience of X10 Tx or Rx. I am thinking of doing a X10 project. I am just wondering whether it will work in between houses. What i mean is something like controlling a device in a neighbouring house. Will the signal flow through the power lines to next house? If it is possible then it will be a good idea to build an telephone extension between two houses using X10.

X10 is a data format, so you can't transmit audio via it!.

However, mains connected intercom systems have been common place for a great many years.

The hopes of working as far as next door aren't terribly good, for a start the range is usually fairly limited, but more important is how the houses are wired! - in the UK it's standard practice to wire houses to alternate phases, so next door either side will be on totally different phases to your house. As there are really good reasons for doing this, it's probably common in most countries?.

Yeah you are right, normally different houses are powere with different phases to balance the load in each phase.
so how does the intercom works using power lines, can u telll me a little more about it. Is it using digital data. i heard that in some countries broadband also is provided using power lines.

marxmax said:
Yeah you are right, normally different houses are powere with different phases to balance the load in each phase.
so how does the intercom works using power lines, can u telll me a little more about it. Is it using digital data. i heard that in some countries broadband also is provided using power lines.

It just uses analogue signals, either FM or AM modulation on a low RF carrier - a couple of 100KHz or so.

marxmax said:
FYI, X10 is not allow in Malaysia.

VictorPS said:
marxmax said:
FYI, X10 is not allow in Malaysia.

why ??????????

The TNB (electricity provided company ) simply not approved. :(
Reason : They want to preserved power line communication for their own use,
on remote electric usage metering purpose (for resisdent) in future. :?:

So if there is other power line communication device such as X10 in use, it may cause interference.
I obtains this info 2 years ago, I don't know if it is allow now.
However, marxmax, for hobby/education purpose, just go ahead,
for commercial product, please check with TNB before you start.

Beside X10, there is DALI, CEBUS www.domosys.com
Anybody know how DALI and CEBUS work? Similar to X10?

I was thinking of doing this for just learning purpose, I am a degree student and although i am studying in malaysia, i am not from malysia. So after 2 months my studies will be completed and i will be into real fun.... i can have more time on designing and learning more practical stuff as i have saved lot of components for this.

I am not sure for 220V 50Hz :roll: , but I think you need to modify the resistor of Zero-crossing detector, carrier detector & signal generator may change to 100Khz. In the App Note, it show you the maths to calculate the component value.

Be careful when you working with X-10, the circuit carry hazard high voltage.
I will suggest using isolation transformer for the 220V input during development. Where isolation transformer can be simple 2 small power transformer, connect in (220V -6V )Step-down - (6V-220V)Step-up.

AN236 reading x10 messages

I am doing a x10 project and have made most of the hardware accoring to the application note. but I am facing problems with the software part. The APPLICATION FIRMWARE OVERVIEW page on page 9 says that you have to use ReadX10Message command to read x10 messages but I could not found that macro in the source of the application.

I would be glad if someone who has worked on it can guide me. Or if you have anyother powerline communication and control circuits or ideas please tell

Thanks and regards,
Anupam
India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back