Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WXT520 Weather Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

Just wondering what business benefits from weather surveillance offered by the weather transmitter below? https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/01/wxt520.pdf

I googled for its specific applications, but the explanation provided in the 'net is like 'why do people like eating burgers? Because they're hungry' type of answers.

I don't know for sure but I could see something like this being used as part of an automated weather observation and reporting system at a small general aviation airport. Some small uncontrolled airports have AWOS and ASOS systems that continuosly broadcast weather information on a specific frequency. Most of the information in that broadcast could in theory come from one of those things. You can call this number if you want to see what I'm talking about. 281-992-1853

Last edited:
Anywhere people need wind speed and direction monitoring. Things like wind turbine farms, oil refineries and, nuclear power plants.

I installed one on top of an Environmental Studies building at a Nature Center for our Biology department. It's part of a monitoring system for solar output, wind, and water quality. Data for wind and one solar sensor are automatically sent by telephone to a data collection server. The remote water quality and solar sensors info are sent but a cellphone link.

Ken

Anywhere people need wind speed and direction monitoring. Things like wind turbine farms, oil refineries and, nuclear power plants.

Ken, can you give a specific example? How do these parameters affect oil refineries, agricultural sectors and all that?

Oil refineries, chemical manufactures, nuclear power plants: in case of accidents, where are the hazardous materials going to be carried by the wind.
Agriculture: local weather conditions for growth, ripening, curing/drying, and need for protection of crops.

Your question sounds like info need for a report. I would suggest calling or emailing them. Since I don't know "Where" is: Contact Us: Campbell Scientific has a Worldwide Network of Affiliates and Reps. I'm sure they will give you anything you need.

Ken

I would not say this EXACT system is being used, but at my marina, there is a weather station that measures temp, humidity, wind speed, etc. Boaters can log in and check the local conditions. That's pretty handy, because conditions at the lake can be very different than where I live, about 40 miles away. Of course, the conditions change rapidly, so there is still a gamble...

Last edited:
Well, I did contact my country's weather centre but they didn't respond. Yes, my question pertains to an extension for better understanding on how these things come into handy or essential, since I improvised a construction of a solid-state weather transmitter similar to the WXT510 for my final year project. Initially I did it without thinking too much about the applications, which is a bad move, but I just wanted to experience the hardcore electronics so here we are.

Attached a picture of it, it's due for an expo this February, I'd like to blow the judges with only details they bother, since they're not going to be too interested in how I managed to go through the nook and crannies (which is the thing which matters to me). :eek:
149-tronn.jpg

Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited:
Great! Will you post the details of you project here...eventually? Did you email Campbell Scientific?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back