Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Writting Manchester line coding

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahmedragia21 said:
So you think if i put 100uS delay it would work ?

I'll put it this way, it doesn't have any chance at all with 1 second delays.

But, like I said, unless you use somekind of NRZ coding (like Manchester) it's never going to work very well.

ok i wrote now a function which encodes the byte to be sent , can i send the decoded byte using the above scheme ? put delay between every bits ?

When the receiver device is waiting for the preamble, "sync byte", or whatever, does it use that signal to derive a clock to sample the signal being sent? or is that not necessary? I'm new to this and am curious exactly what goes on between the uC and receiver when the receiver has a message coming in.

I know that the manchester encoding and decoding can be performed in software by the uC but how is the uC able to receive (or send) the serial data from the transmitter (or receiver)?

Last edited:
My tutorial explains how Manchester coding works, it's trivial to transmit (where you would use specific delay times between the bits), but is much more complicated to receive, as the timing doesn't have to be the same, or indeed repeatable.

notwist said:
When the receiver device is waiting for the preamble, "sync byte", or whatever, does it use that signal to derive a clock to sample the signal being sent? or is that not necessary? I'm new to this and am curious exactly what goes on between the uC and receiver when the receiver has a message coming in.

I know that the manchester encoding and decoding can be performed in software by the uC but how is the uC able to receive (or send) the serial data from the transmitter (or receiver)?

When I wrote the code for my RC5 Receiver, I basically waited for an input pin on the Micro to go low (it's normally high because the IR Receiver inverts the signal) and then I time how long it stays low for. Once the I/O pin has returned high again the Timer value is compared to a set of limits that I made up (basically 20% either side of the time an RC5 pulse "should" be). If the Timer value is within the limits I have defined then I call a processing function which attempts to retrieve all of the data. It synchronises with the data stream and then uses the Timer value to determine when a sample should be taken. In this way the program adapts to signals which might not be timed entirely as the protocol says it should be.

Again, I can't promise you my solution is the best one because like you I'm pretty new to it all as well!!! I attach the code for you to take a look at. You may have to clean up the text formatting. It looks fine in my compiler but won't look the same in notepad.

Brian

Attachments

• Receive.c
    4.1 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back