Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Writing USB Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max13

Hello everybody !
This is my first post =)

I'm in a 2 years course, studying in IT.
My school is... How to say it... Has a very low level.
So, I have to post my questions on forums to get answers -_-'

I have bought an USB NFC Reader, and some tags sold with it (Touch A Tag).
If you don't know what it is, it's sold with a program which get the equivalent between tag and "action to do" on the net (on the TouchATag website).

I'm learning the C++ (Just learning), I want to develop a project (for the end of the year), which would be basically, a Tag Reader (as identification for example).

The problem is I want to communicate myself with the device, so I need to talk with the driver, which isn't open.
So, I have to write my own driver for this device (which is open-source, so un-encrypted, but the goal is to learn how to write a driver).

I want to learn how to write a driver, for an USB Device, starting from nothing ?
If I have to learn something, I will. The problem is I don't event know (my teachers neither) how/what/from where to begin.

Is anyone could help me, I would be happy :)

Thank you all !

Writing drivers is a huge task, even for experienced programmers. You're fooling around with the OS kernal, and you'll end up crashing it. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. Don't even try to do it on a computer you use for any other processing, you'll need to have a machine dedicated to only driver development. You can start at the MSDN website. Still, I wouldn't recommend this task to anyone other than a very experienced programmer.

You might be able to use an existing driver, as many exist in the most popular OS's. Your device would need to appear as a UID, mass storage or some other commidity device.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to write your own driver. You should be able to use libusb, which can provide you with an interface to the USB endpoints/pipes to read/write the data from/to. To find out what data you need to worry about, you'll need a usb sniffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back