Writing USB Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max13

Hello everybody !
This is my first post =)

I'm in a 2 years course, studying in IT.
My school is... How to say it... Has a very low level.
So, I have to post my questions on forums to get answers -_-'

I have bought an USB NFC Reader, and some tags sold with it (Touch A Tag).
If you don't know what it is, it's sold with a program which get the equivalent between tag and "action to do" on the net (on the TouchATag website).

I'm learning the C++ (Just learning), I want to develop a project (for the end of the year), which would be basically, a Tag Reader (as identification for example).

The problem is I want to communicate myself with the device, so I need to talk with the driver, which isn't open.
So, I have to write my own driver for this device (which is open-source, so un-encrypted, but the goal is to learn how to write a driver).

I want to learn how to write a driver, for an USB Device, starting from nothing ?
If I have to learn something, I will. The problem is I don't event know (my teachers neither) how/what/from where to begin.

Is anyone could help me, I would be happy

Thank you all !

Writing drivers is a huge task, even for experienced programmers. You're fooling around with the OS kernal, and you'll end up crashing it. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. Don't even try to do it on a computer you use for any other processing, you'll need to have a machine dedicated to only driver development. You can start at the MSDN website. Still, I wouldn't recommend this task to anyone other than a very experienced programmer.

You might be able to use an existing driver, as many exist in the most popular OS's. Your device would need to appear as a UID, mass storage or some other commidity device.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to write your own driver. You should be able to use libusb, which can provide you with an interface to the USB endpoints/pipes to read/write the data from/to. To find out what data you need to worry about, you'll need a usb sniffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…