Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Writing Data to Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I take any memory like RAM, EEPROM, FLASH and write data to it, how do i know that the data is written successfully. Reading back from the memory and comparing with what is written is the only solution. Will the memory can give me a feedback that it is successful? Also will i be able to know the reason why the write was unsuccessful, such as if eeprom crosses the limit of number of write cycles and other error conditions.

Some memory devices can provide an indication that the write cycle has completed, but that doesn't mean that the written data is intact, only that the write cycle successfully completed. The only way to truly be sure that the data stored in those types of memory device is as intended, would be to read the data back and compare it. Some newer memory devices have mechanisms built in to automatically verify the data as it is written, some nand flash devices for example, and can provide an indication if that process fails, but again, there's a lot more to it than my simple explanation. I suggest that you get your hands on a range of data sheets for various memory types and read through them to better understand the mechanisms each device type uses for storing data and verifying its integrity :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back