Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

would this idea work

Status
Not open for further replies.

zvargulis

my neighbours have a electric garage door. im pretty sure they use a remote so im guessing its either a ir remote or a rf remote i would like to build a project that would open and close the door over and over for a funny joke.

is this possible?

zvargulis said:
my neighbours have a electric garage door. im pretty sure they use a remote so im guessing its either a ir remote or a rf remote i would like to build a project that would open and close the door over and over for a funny joke.

is this possible?

Yes, depending on the coding using, some high security systems use 'code hopping', so it uses a different code every time you open it. If it uses a simple single code you could clone their transmitter, there are also designs for systems which transmit every possible code in sequence.

Personally I disapprove of the idea though, it's very little different to breaking and entering!.

Although I don't have a garage, if you did this to me, and I found out it was you - you would be likely to be eating through a straw and walking on cruches :lol:

nah man its not like that. were good friends with our neghibours and i wanted to make a project that would make their garag door open and close over and over

Hi,
most systems come with 2 or more transmitters. If You are good friends then it might be possible to 'borrow' one from Your neighbour. Wait until he opens the garage door and close it with Your transmitter always when it's half way open. Doing so with only one member of Your neighbour's family (for the other people the door works normal) can be great fun...
But as with every _good_ joke tell the person that he/she was the victim of a joke and give him/her a chance to laugh too.
(could be 'candid camera'-stuff)
regards
joachim

:lol: That's funny. And... just wrong at the same time. :lol: But anyway, you'll have to find out if it's IR or RF. It's probably RF. But you should be able to make sure by looking on the front of it to see if it has an infared LED on it.

Rain

Nigel Goodwin said:
Electric Rain said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
pike said:
Watch out this guy is armed...a black belt with 3 white stripes on it.

No! - two red stripes :lol:

:shock: Is that right...?

Yes, I'm senior instructor at the New Spirit School Of Ju Jitsu, a Black Belt 2nd Dan.

Wow... AND you're an electronics genius. Very impressive...

Nigel Goodwin said:
Electric Rain said:
Wow... AND you're an electronics genius. Very impressive...

Just because you're a geek doesn't mean you can't kick ass! :lol:

:lol: That's true. But most geeks are wimps.. you must be very misleading to people. :lol:

most door openers arent desinged for repeated use without a rest period ( duty cycle). your joke could burn up the motor

Oh... shoot. Thanks for getting us back on subject Gaston. Sorry about that zvargulis...

adell said:
I dont think its wise to publicly discuss meddling with peoples security arrangements. So I think it wont work

He's got a point. I know you're good friends, but it's still probably not legal. But then again, neither is littering. :lol: Well, I think I'm gonna stay out of it. I don't want to be caught up in any potential trouble. Sorry. But, I probably can't help you much anyway.

Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back