Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Would like advise on basic schematic-drawing software please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerw

Hi guys,

I’m looking for advice on a simple and basic software for drawing schematic diagrams.

There is really only one main requirement.

I require a library of parts which show IC’s with their internal layout and pinouts just as they are shown on their datasheets.

The resultant diagrams are for my own use … simply to understand the circuit operation and not for creating pcb’s etc.

My full time employment consists of repairing circuit boards, with zero documentation … and as you can imagine, I need all the help I can get.

Determining faults depends largely on finding out exactly what the board is supposed to do … and then trying to work out the design of it.

In many cases I download the relevant datasheets of the IC’s etc and then manually draw out the main IC’s and their interconnections until I understand how the board works.

I have attempted to use various software and also online software, but none I’ve tried so far have the layouts as I would like. I have Eagle and quite like EasyEDA etc.

If I could just place the relevant IC’s spaced out on a sheet of paper and print that out … then draw in the connections by hand as I inspect the board … then I could go back to the software again and transfer that info also.

I realise this sounds painful and tedious ... and it is ... but as I mentioned, this is what I do every day, and have done for years ... and I make a good living from it ... it just would be nice to improve this bit of the process. Thanks for any help.

I gravitated from an older version of OrCad to the free Kicad, found it very compatible, you can build your own library, modify an existing one etc, the IC's generally do not show internal layout, however, you would have to draw this in.
Max.

My 2 cents is for ExpressPCB. Pretty intuitive...big parts library...ease of creating new/custom parts...and...free.

Ken

Yes, ExpressPCB is very easy to draw, PCB Layout or Schematic (two-in one).

I really don't recommend ExpressPCB at all. I strongly dislike the way the software is laid out, and I don't like that it's not color-coded (makes for more difficult reading). I recommend Eagle, which has a huge built-in library of parts, as well as the ability to make your own libraries (to draw your own parts, footprints, etc). However, feel free to try one, the other, or both. Use what you prefer, don't let others tell you what software is "best". It's all subjective.

I think we can all agree, however, that you will need to create your own libraries. I don't know of any software with libraries like what you describe built-in. I think you'll need to do it yourself.

If you choose to go the Eagle route, Jason Lopez -- a member here who goes by "AtomSoft " -- made a Youtube tutorial on creating custom components. You can find it here:

From there you can draw in the internal symbols.

Good luck!
Matt

One advantage with Kicad I found was the whole raft of tutorials out there, if you do get stuck.
I wasn't that impressed either with ExpressPCB.
Max,

Fritzing has ic's drawn the way they are built... They use pictures ( rather like my tutorials , I wonder where the idea came from!!)

Check it out... https://fritzing.org/home/

The one thing I dislike about Fritzing is that it's very unprofessional-looking. For hobbyists and students it's ok, especially when it's for their own use (so it'd work in this case), but never try to use it professionally :p

The one thing I dislike about Fritzing is that it's very unprofessional-looking. For hobbyists and students it's ok, especially when it's for their own use (so it'd work in this case), but never try to use it professionally :p
He wanted simple and device layout..... I can't think of any other software that lays out IC's the way they are.... That's the one thing I really like about it..

The way I read the OP it was Schematic diagrams not Bread Boarding needed?
Max.

Agreed. If I read it right, the OP is looking for software with libraries that show a component's internal schematic, like this:

**broken link removed**

Thank you very much for all the input guys.

I've spent the last couple hours checking out the suggestions and have downloaded Fritzing to try it out as well.

I may be missing it, but couldn't find very many IC outlines at all. And where can I find your tutorials please Ian Rogers?

Agreed. If I read it right, the OP is looking for software with libraries that show a component's internal schematic, like this:

Thank you ... yes for the simpler IC's and basic ttl and cmos chips ... that is exactly what I'd like ...

... although to have the pin names a little smaller and placed alongside each pin to allow drawing in their connections without drawing through the labels would be even better ... but I've rarely seen that done on datasheets ... so not too concerned.

I understand that for more complex devices an internal diagram would be impractical ... but even then ... having them showing with 'actual' physical pinout is what I want more than anything ... and in that case ... have their pinout labels written inside ... to keep the pins clear for connecting to each other.

images

As simple as this is ... is all I need

images

Ignoring the additional external info ... the way this IC is drawn would be very helpful

I am adept at CorelDraw and often do resort to creating the images I need ... but there are thousands of IC's and it takes so long. :)

Like I said, you will likely have to create your own custom library, which means you need to draw your own components (including the IC outlines). The image I posted (of the 555 timer) was only representative, and not a literal representation of what we thought you were asking for.

Did you watch Jason's tutorial, which I linked in above? It goes through creating your own Eagle libraries.

Did you watch Jason's tutorial, which I linked in above? It goes through creating your own Eagle libraries.

Thanks DerStrom8 ... yes I did, and thanks for the link.

What I struggle with mostly is that while I can (and do on occasions) create my own ... it takes such a long time (comparatively) to go from faultfinding on the bench ... to opening up the various software needed ... getting the images created and loaded into the library ... that it's time to go to lunch ... or go home ... and the momentum is lost. :)

That's why I resort to hand drawn quite often ... and you can imagine how long that takes.

I have spent ages at various times trying out different circuit creating software ... looking for this particular feature.

In frustration I finally did what I should have done years ago and simply asked some experts.

If you're telling me that libraries of parts in that format (or close) are not available for any of the software ... then I'll have to decide what software I do prefer ... and sit down in my spare time and create some of those images to suit.

Having said that ... if they'd already been created, I'd have happily paid for a good quality set of images to save me the time.

Maybe I can decide on what I want and post a job on elance or whatever it's called nowadays. :)

Thanks for your help.

Thanks DerStrom8 ... yes I did, and thanks for the link.

What I struggle with mostly is that while I can (and do on occasions) create my own ... it takes such a long time (comparatively) to go from faultfinding on the bench ... to opening up the various software needed ... getting the images created and loaded into the library ... that it's time to go to lunch ... or go home ... and the momentum is lost. :)

That's why I resort to hand drawn quite often ... and you can imagine how long that takes.

I have spent ages at various times trying out different circuit creating software ... looking for this particular feature.

In frustration I finally did what I should have done years ago and simply asked some experts.

If you're telling me that libraries of parts in that format (or close) are not available for any of the software ... then I'll have to decide what software I do prefer ... and sit down in my spare time and create some of those images to suit.

Having said that ... if they'd already been created, I'd have happily paid for a good quality set of images to save me the time.

Maybe I can decide on what I want and post a job on elance or whatever it's called nowadays. :)

Thanks for your help.

Creating your own libraries is very time-consuming, which is why I never do it in one sitting. I have been working at my job for almost 5 months and started a library as one of my first projects there, and I am still adding new components. The trick is to create them on an as-needed basis. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed by the sheer number of components you may need in the future. Just focus on what you need at this exact moment.

Regards,
Matt

Creating your own libraries is very time-consuming, which is why I never do it in one sitting. I have been working at my job for almost 5 months and started a library as one of my first projects there, and I am still adding new components. The trick is to create them on an as-needed basis. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed by the sheer number of components you may need in the future. Just focus on what you need at this exact moment.

Haha ... yes ... very time consuming!

I've been at this part of my job for 6 years ... and while I was still building it up I felt like I had enough time to do all of that.

Now I'm inundated with work and feel like I can't afford to stop long enough to do it each time.

Someone just sell me what I want ... :)

And where can I find your tutorials please Ian Rogers?
The schematics where all done in MS Paint!! So don't go there.... I was just showing IC layout.. ( They are in the article section... Just click on "articles" next to my name in the Articles section )

As for fritzing!! If it is a schematic then all that's needed is the basic 8,14,18 dip layout... Just rename them...

Ok, thanks Ian.

Looks like I'll just download a heap of gif's and tidy them up to the same basic size and layout ... and upload them to my library. Something to do on these longer winter nights down here.

Like I said, I don't need to run a simulator or create any boards ... just print out some reasonably tidy schematics for my own faultfinding work.

By the way Ian, I enjoyed checking out your articles (once I knew where to look). Brought back fond memories of my initial studies of micros on 8080's and a bit later a little Japanese kit called a MicroProfessor ... using a Z80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back