Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Would a capacitor fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

I have a signal (drawn in the image). I want to filter the small "spike" away and just keep the 2ms signal.
How can i do that. With a capacitor?
How do i figure out what value i need then?
The levels are 0 and 5V.

The scematic looks like this:

15V ---[1Mohm]-------------[470Kohm]------GND
................................|
GND---[Zener 5.1V]-- |-----[cap?]-----GND
.............................[PIC]

Edit:
Ignore all the "dots".

Attachments

• filter_163.jpg
    filter_163.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 507
I suppose that if it is possible to use a cap. The 2ms signal will change to something like this (picture).
But that's no problem as long as it goes up to 5V it doesn't matter how it
"looks".

My question is, how do i figure out what cap to use. Or is thare a better way that to use caps?

Attachments

• rund.jpg
    rund.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 460
I recommend to use a non-retriggerable monostable multivibrator, triggered by rising edge.

Attachments

• filter_163_176.jpg
    filter_163_176.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 435
non-retriggerable monostable multivibrator
Wow, don't think i can find a more advanced word!

What do a non-retriggerable monostable multivibrator really do, can someone please explain?

This device (e.g.74LS221) cannot start new timing cycle while the output active.

To expand on Sebi's (short) explanation:

A monostable multivibrator gives an output pulse of a fixed length, when it receives a trigger signal.

As you probably gathered, there are "retriggerable" and "non-retriggerable" types.

Retriggerable types will restart the timing of the output pulse, if it receives a second trigger, while the output pulse is still active. ie, if a certain multivibrator has an output pulse length of 10ms, and it is triggered, then receives a second trigger 5ms later, the output pulse will be (5+10)ms = 15ms long. Generally, they can retriggered as many times as you like.

Non-retriggerable types must finish the output pulse, before a new trigger signal will have any effect. (It will ignore any triggers whilst the output is active).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back