Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

worth the 20$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maor

yeah so yesterday i bought parts (at last) and i was wondering if the price was worth it here is the list:
2-7805
5-green leds
3-1M:eek:hm: ressistors
3-switchs(the big ones not the pcb type)
3-ptm buttons
2-555 chips
2-4.7 pf caps
2-~60pf varriable caps
4-2n3904
1-female usb head
1-bunch of hook up wire(there were four colors and the guy sayed its 20meters)
1-electret microphone
1-solder sucker
and that was it i think
worth the price?

It's no bargain, but you didn't get ripped-off, either. If that list represents exactly what you wanted, then you can't complain, especially nowadays if you were able to get it at one, real store (i.e. not online).

Gayan Soyza said:
I calculated your list without the wires the total cost for other parts its coming 2.75US$ in my place.

What you mean by hookup wires? Is that a four core wire?
i mean normal breadboard hook up wire 22awg that has the plastic covering
(go check radio shack)

Hank Fletcher said:
It's no bargain, but you didn't get ripped-off, either. If that list represents exactly what you wanted, then you can't complain, especially nowadays if you were able to get it at one, real store (i.e. not online).

That's about what that list might run you at a store here too. You might get it cheaper off of eBay or craigslist, but not faster. I haven't checked what this might cost from someone like Digikey.

Torben

If you really want parts, get yourself a cheap soldering iron and a couple spools of basic lead solder. I've gone through dozens of printers monitors old PC's an dthe more juicey stuff like mid range consumer audio/video equipment more than a couple of years old and I have piles and piles of good IC's and passive components. Most of the things I take apart have at least 10 dollars worth of components in them, and every now and then I'll find a few that have a decent number of 5-10 dollar IC's. all sorts of stuff. Regulators, inductors, opto's, opamps, various basic logic chips like AND gates, LED's everything under the sun, and looking up what you find it half the fun. This is all stuff I found cheap at a second hand store or things people have given me that've broke.

Sceadwian said:
big wall of text
salvaging is a good way to get parts but im not suprised from the price of the parts in the shop my brother sayed he is the only one that imports them

I used to salvage a lot but I've got so may spare parts now, that I stopped doing it.

I use a propane torch and a 5 gallon plastic bucket to catch the parts. Usually pretty quick, and not too destructive. Definately outdoors activity...

HarveyH42 said:
I use a propane torch and a 5 gallon plastic bucket to catch the parts. Usually pretty quick, and not too destructive. Definately outdoors activity...

The next time I will try using a torch.

The first time I tried it I held the board while a student applied the heat. We stunk up the whole school :D Best to clamp or prop up the board. Most of the parts came off OK but there are a lot of (too) small unmarked SMD resistors and caps.

I have used the heat gun trick to remove old SMD ram chips...but I don't think I can do much with them lol. I have also tried to solder the SS package chips using this method, but I always get a few solder jumpers no matter what I try, even with a 1/64" solder tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back