Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

working with PIC16F767

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,
I'd like to work with PIC16F767 to develop my programming skills.
I must purchase a dev board in order to be able to program it, is that correct?
(meaning, i can just buy that unit as is).

Thanks.

Your question is a little confusing. Are you asking if you need to buy a dev board to program a 16f767? The answer to that is no. Although it is a good idea to start with a dev board when you're learning a new chip. The only requirement is that you must have an appropriate programmer.

Last edited:
Personally, I like the ATmel ATMEGA(8) parts. The development software is free, and the programmer only costs $29.
Pick a part that is in-circuit programmable.

Development kits are a nice way to get started, as the manuals that come with them take you step by step through the part. If you are unfamiliar with microcontrollers and are just starting out, they can be overwhelming. Today's controllers are very versatile, but the downside of that is that they are very complicated. Plus, each has it's own little quirks that you have to learn.

Hi,
I'd like to work with PIC16F767 to develop my programming skills.
I must purchase a dev board in order to be able to program it, is that correct?
(meaning, i can just buy that unit as is).

Thanks.

Well, there are JuneBug programmers, and Microchip also produce their own PIC programmers so you can program them on board. I build my own main PIC boards, programmed using ICSP. You can look up Nigel's tutorials, google it up.

Cheers.

Double check to make sure its compatible, but a pickit 2 is my suggestion, instead of a dev board get a breadboard and a few discretes.

Hi,
Thank you very much dear fellows, you helped me a lot.

I'll order the PIC16F767 and 'Pickit 2' for SW burning.

I'd also like to purchase a LCD, which can be interfaced via I2C (I wanna have the PIC communicating with the LCD using I2C protocol).

Could you pleaes recommend on a low-cost I2C LCD?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Go to digikey.com, search for LCD. Under the "Optoelectronics" section, click on "Display Modules - LCD, OLED Character and Numeric". I'm assuming you want a character display and not a graphical display. From there, you can use the filters on the top to find something that fits your needs. I would guess the filter categories you're most interested in are "Display Format" (number of characters x number of lines), "Voltage - Supply", and "Interface".

Once you've filtered a bit, you can sort by price (if that's important to you) and pick out a display that you like.

Be aware theres a lot to learn if your fairly new to pics to get an 12c display working, but its not insurmountable.

Hi,
Thank you very much dear fellows, you helped me a lot.

I'll order the PIC16F767 and 'Pickit 2' for SW burning.

I'd also like to purchase a LCD, which can be interfaced via I2C (I wanna have the PIC communicating with the LCD using I2C protocol).

Could you pleaes recommend on a low-cost I2C LCD?

Thanks again!

I'd recommend an array of LEDs and resistors. Testing your program brick-by-brick is important. Start with turning on an LED, blinking it, then ADCs with the digital output indicated using LEDs, then LCD is cool.

Hi dear mates.
Thank you very much.

I already have an experience with 8051 programming, in which I used SPI and controlled + designed LED drivers, Relay drivers, Front-End chip, memories..

I wanna now get exposed to a new module - Graphic LCD - with new comm protocol - I2C.

The cheapest graphic LCD I found in Digikey was over 60$ a piece.
In Mouser, the cheapest one was 50$.

Is Graphic LCD really that expensive?
I thought of 20$ top, does it make sense?

Thank you again!

Shouldnt be a problem for you then.

Have a look on ebay theres usually a surplus house flogging them cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back