Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working with household mains cables (not flex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonW

Dear Friends,

I know that this is an electronics forum, nevertheless I would like your feedback

I have recently started work on fixing common faults on household wiring,

Has anyone got tips on working with the stiff wires:

Inserting two stiff cables into 1 screw block?

working with ceiling roses, my arms get tired after having my arms in the
air while working with the solid wires??

Cheers!

A few thoughts -

A. Talk to an electrician if you have access to one.

B. I find that some extra wire length and adding loops or "U" bends makes it easier to manage sometimes.

C. There are occasions where you might use a short length of wire - tie one end of it to the pair w/wire nut or similar connector - then you are left with only one wire to manage. You can bend/stuff the multiple conductors into the junction box first - leaving only the one end available.

Make sure you take the time to understand safe working practices and that you understand the limits of your abilities. A good book that covers the practices and rules in your area might be a worthwhile investment. It will show you many of these "tricks" but also warn you of dangers that might not be apparent to you.

Electrical installation regs in the uk state that any electrical work "...should only be carried out by a suitably trained and competent person...."
If you're at all not sure, then you should find an electrician.

If you're using the correct cable, and connectors/fittings, then there should be plenty of room to get 2 wires in one connector. Just make sure the wires are not too short or too long. Don't bend the cable at sharp angles, where possible, bend it in an arc or a u shape.

As for your arms aching, it's probably because you're moving/stretching in ways that your body's not used to.

Even in the U.S. just about anyone can do electrical work, as long as it's inspected by a qualified electrician afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back