Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working out the frequency of a radio using a frequency meter, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawny

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem… I know this question sounds insane but is there any way to connect a frequency meter (Something such as a home built one based of a PIC) to a home built radio so I can determine what frequency it is working at?

Or is there some other way for me to easily work out the frequency that my radio is working at?

Dawn.

Assuming it's a superhet radio?, you can connect it to the local oscillator via a buffer (so as not to load it), this will then give the frequency either above, or below, by the IF frequency used. As it's a PIC based counter you could easily modify it to subtract or add the offset as required - it's a pretty common application.

If by frequency meter you mean a frequency counter, then yes it is quite possible.

As Nigel said, you have to make sure the FC has a high impedence input so as not to 'pull' the receiver's oscillator off frequency and you will have to manually add or subtract the intermediate frequency (IF) offset to get the actual receiver's tuned frequency.

Early digital display receivers used this method by actually having a internal frequency counter, but now most use micro based circuits to control and display the PLL or DDS type oscillator frequency.

Lefty

Last edited:
Intermittent Frequency?

Thats what you get when the radio isn't working verry well.:D

JimB

Dawny said:
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem… I know this question sounds insane but is there any way to connect a frequency meter (Something such as a home built one based of a PIC) to a home built radio so I can determine what frequency it is working at?

Or is there some other way for me to easily work out the frequency that my radio is working at?

Dawn.
Hi Dawny,
please post a schematic of your Home made Radio ,
Mean time you try to browse for Frequency counters by IK3OIL using PIC16F84.It has selectable "IF" offsets .

I assembled one and is working fine .

I feel it can be interfaced to Home made radio with suitable shielded compartment for the counter part and having a buffer for picking up the Local oscillator ferequency.

Meantime, it is also possible perhaps to use a ready counter retrieved from cheap digital radios like Kchibo k9913- by taking suitable protection to the input so as not to blow up front end of counter.

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Intermediate frequency :D

After development of IT and computers, many might have forgotten the terms intermediate frequency (IF) and they interpret IF as "if" or Basic language"IF" or as pointed out Intermittent....

I know this circuit is really, really primitive but then again it seems to work...

Dawn.

P.S. Do you think it's time I went hunting for a better radio circuit to base a new experment off?

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 213
Dawny said:
I know this circuit is really, really primitive but then again it seems to work...

Dawn.

P.S. Do you think it's time I went hunting for a better radio circuit to base a new experment off?

Yea, that isn't going to cut it. Not that it won't receive signals, but it's just a 'crystal radio' with modern active audio amplification added on. There is no local oscillator to measure the received signal frequency.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back