Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working of circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

panther_4

Can anybody plz explain the working of the attached circuit? Its an undervoltage/overvoltage protection with range of 6-11.5 V

Attachments

• chr.zip
    59 KB · Views: 104
Can anybody plz explain the working of the attached circuit? Its an undervoltage/overvoltage protection with range of 6-11.5 V

hi,
When I unzip your file, I get 'not a valid jpg.!'

If panther is posting a JPG, why ZIP it?

my imageviewer program (IrfanView) tell me that it is just a BMP file that is renamed to JPG.

Look - I got a smaller file size :D

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 155
It appears to be an under-voltage / over-voltage protection circuit. If the input voltage is too low, Q1 turns on and dumps the gate of Q3 to ground. If the voltage is high enough, Q2 stops Q1 and Q3 is allowed to pass unlimited amounts of current. If the output voltage gets too high, it goes through R14 to stop Q2, which allows Q1 to make Q3 become a voltage regulator.

@ #12

"If the input voltage is too low, Q1 turns on and dumps the gate of Q3 to ground."
As Q3 is a p-channel mosfet, it will turn on in this case and there will be no undervoltage protection

@ #12

"If the input voltage is too low, Q1 turns on and dumps the gate of Q3 to ground."
As Q3 is a p-channel mosfet, it will turn on in this case and there will be no undervoltage protection

hi,
This is your circuit in LTspice simulation.

EDIT:
Tried your circuit over a wider input voltage range.

Attachments

• 000esp02.gif
    000esp02.gif
    28.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 000esp03.gif
    000esp03.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
P-ch mosfet...how it works:

When positive voltage is supplied to the input, R7 makes the gate to source voltage of Q3 zero, so nothing passes.
As the input voltage increases past the 5 volts of D2 plus Vbe Q1, Q1 turns on and the gate of Q3 becomes more negative than the input voltage and Q3 turns on. Q3 passes current and the voltage divider R14 and R11 raise the emitter of Q2 to 9.1% of the output voltage.
As the input voltage increases past 10V for D1 plus Vbe Q2 plus 9.1% of Vout, Q2 turns on, which turns Q1 off. The gate of Q3 moves toward the input voltage and Q3 turns off.

Good thing my mistake didn't confuse anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back