Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working Of Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

babar.khan

While studying about Capacitor I have come across some confusions :mad: and they are mentioned below:-
1. How does a capacitor work?
2. What are its various application?
2. How does it work for clamping?
3. How does RC and RLC circuits work? How do we perform calculations for it?
4. How does it work in 555 and 554 timer IC?
In short, the confusion begins on Basic Working of Capacitor. Voltage of Capacitor varies w.r.t. time, what about current?
Although i've tried articles with figures showing voltage charging and discharging but that didn't work.
Can Anyone please guide me or tell me a link so that i can clear my confusions about capacitor
Guys, i'll be waiting for positive responce from your side. please help me out.
Regard,
BABAR.

This is a great example of things you could have found out by searching google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
has a ton of information about capacitors, and should answer a bunch of your questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_circuit
has everything you should need to know about RC circuits

And if you search google some more, you should have no trouble turning up information about the 555.

The most important equation is I=C*dV/dt
since you don't give any indication of your math skills, I have no way of knowing how much this equation might mean to you. It tells you that the slope of the voltage vs. time is proportional to the current. Flip things around a bit, and you find that the voltage vs. time is proportional to the integral of the current wrt time.

evandude said:
The most important equation is I=C*dV/dt
Yes, this is the key to understanding capacitors.

For inductors it is v = L di/dt.

RC and RL circuits lead to first order differential equations.

RLC circuits lead to second order differential equations.

So you need to understand the maths to solve them, ie. basic calculus.

This is a great example of things you could have found out by searching google.

Or by reading the textbook for the class you're takeing.

some variuos applications of the capacators are quite simple. one basic one is they hold a chagre like a battery but can be recharged according to the capacity of the capacator. it says the voltage on it. basacily all a capacator does is convert ac voltage to dc voltage

To convert AC to DC? That's what a rectifier (diode) does. . . Not a capacitor. Capacitors can filter a signal, store charge, etc etc, but not convert AC to DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back