Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working circuit crystal oscillator with CMOS inv 10MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
Has anybody ever managed to implement an oscillator with 10 MHz crystal and a CMOS inverter? One that really worked.

Could I see that circuit?

It seems that I cannot go further than 4MHz using the 74HC04.

Theory I read a lot but did not found a circuit said to actually work.

Tried it many, many years ago and never had much luck. If I want a 10 MHz clock today I use Mfr's Part #: XO52CTFLNA20M from one of these little complete oscillators. At a cost of literally a few USD. Additionally they have on board Enable / Disable which is nice. I use the 20 MHz and do a divide by 2 with a FF.

Ron

This is a design that I have used. You can miss out the divider. I agree with Reloadron that it is far easier to use a complete oscillator.

This uses UM-1 crystals, with a 30 pF load.

Crystal
Freq 12-20 MHz

R1 Omit
R2 link
R3 1M

C1 10,000pF
C2 47pF S.O.T.
C3 68pF

IC1 TC7SU04F 108-5252 from Farnell 74HC1GU04GW RoHS Compliant

IC2 74HCT393D

Divide ratio Pin to link to output
2 11