Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wooden breadboard prototyping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonW

Dear All,

I recently discovered the history of the breadboard, and have some questions for the more veteran members:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrG98HJ3Z6w

1)

Can this technique of making simple circuits be used for permanent use?

2)

What is the maximum current and voltage one can use? (assuming nail posts are far apart)

3)

Any chance of current leaking between nail posts ( through natural moisture in wood)

All your comments and answers are appreciated.

Thank You

Simon

Some preWW2 and WW2 radio's were built using that technique.

As I recall they worked OK, the use of an actual 'Bread' board is not essential, any flat. smooth piece of Oak gets the job done.

Is the Collin in "Collin's Lab" the same as our Collin? For a modern version of breadboard building technique, look up "ugly construction" and "manhatten construction" The "nails" in ugly construction are the power supply decoupling capacitors. These are superior construction techniques, but you can't use them to slice bread on.

Go to a local radio/telephone/electronics museum and look at the beautifully built stuff from 70 to 120 years ago. Most of it on wood. Tubes (valve) use high voltages, radio transmitters very high voltages and currents.

Use indoor aged hardwoods. The grain is tighter, threrefore less moisture in the wood.

I would use brass nails (maybee the wood pre-drilled as they bend easily). Brass solders easily. Avoid copper wire, it tarnishes and could be difficult to solder after a while. Use tin or silver plated wire.

Make it an art project!

Last edited:
canadaelk said:
Make it an art project!

Not a bad idea. You can hang your project on your wall, as though it's a painting. But it will be functional art.

Once had an engineer that did breadboards without the board. We framed a few as they were colorful and abstract.

Go to a local radio/telephone/electronics museum and look at the beautifully built stuff from 70 to 120 years ago. Most of it on wood. Tubes (valve) use high voltages, radio transmitters very high voltages and currents.

Use indoor aged hardwoods. The grain is tighter, threrefore less moisture in the wood.

Even decent softwoods (pine, fir) would be find, if they're kiln dried and not exposed to too much moisture.

I would use brass nails (maybee the wood pre-drilled as they bend easily). Brass solders easily. Avoid copper wire, it tarnishes and could be difficult to solder after a while. Use tin or silver plated wire.

Make it an art project!

Steampunk!

I made this breadboard on Maple.

breadboard-jpg.28762

Nice.

So how did you fasten stuff to the breadboard? Can't see any screws or nails. It looks like you chiseled or routed out channels for the wiring.

That's exactly what I did. I used a dremel minirouter for the groundbus and glued it in. The ground bus made the support for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back