Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wolfram welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad777

I was told that I can't use wolfram(tungsten) electrode with
my ac welder, but I had to try and guess what, it don't work.
Can't maintain arc.

So now I am wondering if I could somehow connect electrode to
both welder and high voltage source like gas igniter.
The idea is to provide arc, which is path to high amp welding current.

In all this I'm mostly concerned with safety. Could low power
spark enable welding current to flow through my hand and take
out my fingers or kill me?

Surely voltage of the welder is only 40V, but I'm always wary
of it's high current capability.

Edit:
High voltage source could be high frequencey so it dont flow through
secundar of welding transformer.

Last edited:
Typically you want DC for TIG, unless you're welding aluminum or some other alloys, in which case you want a source capable of square waves, a specialized machine. People have had success using an automotive battery as a TIG power source, which can produce high amperage. Look up "Gas tungsten arc welding" on wikipedia.

There used to be a museum in Sheffield, unfortunately it's shut now - one of the exhibits was a welding example of all kinds of difficult materials welded together in a ring (done by an apprentice I believe), then sliced through and polished.

It seriously impressed me! :D

Tungsten works just fine with AC constant current welders provided you have shielding gas around the arc of course. ;)

In order to keep the arc going as it passes through the zero point you need high frequency superimposed on the lead and set to continous. You can use HF on START on DC since there is no zero crossing. They sell suitable HF add-on units but they are pretty pricey and the newer generation of inverter type equipment is much better and has many new and better capabilities, including wave adjustment and pulse functions. The price will come out pretty close if you add it all up, so get an inverter with a warranty, a tank of Argon and burn on!!!
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back