Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wish to learn microcontroller....... need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikelectro

hello again, last year I had created a thread about "how to start learning microcontroller?" But now can't find the thread.. In that thread somebody suggested me to buy a development board and come back to forum... my answer was then I need some time for the buying....

And now the time is come, as I planned coming Monday I'll buy a development board of 8051 to start. and I want to tell you something that i dont have any knowledge about the programming. but have the knowledge of basic electronics (about 1 year and 8 months)....

So I just want to start now with your precious guidance. hope the help will come to teach microcontroller....

If someone has any suggestion about the development board (like: which board should I choose etc). please reply to this thread within Monday. And anyone who is interested in this please join this thread...

thanking you in advanced.....

Hi,

What are your reasons for looking at the 8051 ?

My suggestion would be a Pic Micro Dev board or an Adruino Uno or similar.

They are both extremely popular with hobbyists around the world , are low cost and very well supported in this and many other forums / sites.

Hi,

What are your reasons for looking at the 8051 ?

My suggestion would be a Pic Micro Dev board or an Adruino Uno or similar.

They are both extremely popular with hobbyists around the world , are low cost and very well supported in this and many other forums / sites.

hi,
thanks for your reply... I choose 8051 because I think here in Kolkata (India) it is very much easily accessible from local shop and it is very popular to students i have seen here. And some one told me that it is more easy to learn from others micro...
but I see you have some different opinion!!!!

There's nothing wrong with the 8051... There is loads of support for it...

I can help you with most of what you need..... What dev board are you looking to buy? What language are you going to program with?
For ASM there is ASM-51

And for C there is SDCC http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

Both are free and very good tools...

There's nothing wrong with the 8051... There is loads of support for it...

I can help you with most of what you need..... What dev board are you looking to buy? What language are you going to program with?
For ASM there is ASM-51

And for C there is SDCC http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

Both are free and very good tools...

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your appreciation and interest.. As i said before i dnt have any programming knowledge. But I have heard of ASM from my friends. so will it be great for me if i go with ASM-51..??

And I dont choose anything yet which board should I buy!!!! I'll go to the local shop and will find a development board for 8051 within reasonable price.... if have you any suggestion in that case please tell me... As i dont want to be a fool while coming out from local shop.....:D:D

Ok.... thanks... first I let me go to the shop next mon day...
suppose I have gone to the shop and what will be the specification should I ask for the development board...

I like this one... **broken link removed**

It lets you choose the processor..
is that mean : i can choose different types of mico or different types of 8051....

ok nice then.. I have to wait for coming monday...

Qestion is there anything to know or you want to let me know before I purchase the dev board????

and :: suppose I have gone to shop to purchase a development board, i have to sure about these :
RTC, EEPROM, RS232, LCD connections and seven segment connections
Isn't it????

HI,

I would suggest you to go with PIC16F877a rather than 8051..!!

Buy PIC USB programmer from robokits india @ Rs~1500/.

Last edited:
ok nice then.. I have to wait for coming monday...

Qestion is there anything to know or you want to let me know before I purchase the dev board????

and :: suppose I have gone to shop to purchase a development board, i have to sure about these : Isn't it????

Only you know what you want to do... If you aren't going to use these items... Buy another board The one for 400 Rs is very basic but you can make little interface boards ( like on Nigel's tutorials) for things that YOU need...

You're in charge of that department..

You're in charge of that department..

thanks for that... at last I have a department where I can take decision!!!!:) and rest of is yours...

And one more thing that I want to know :: I think with the development board will come come some CD for installing... Some of my friends is talking about compiler also.... Is it necessary to have a compiler with the installation CD?????
if yes...... what exactly a compiler do???

i think i'm boring you with my lot of primary question. :eek:

if yes...... what exactly a compiler do???

Just listen If you want to learn uC.....
pic up the programer as i suggested in previous post and compilere is software for converting your code to hex file and download MPLab don't listen to other friends just do this....

Just listen If you want to learn uC.....
pic up the programer as i suggested in previous post and compilere is software for converting your code to hex file and download MPLab don't listen to other friends just do this....

why are discouraging me from buying a 8051 Development board????? surely You have some reason, why don't just elaborate your opinion with us... plz say clearly..........

I am suggesting you because 8051 has many drawback then latest uC available for example piC16f877a has inbuilt ADC, usart,spi,etc etc in cheap price at Rs~200/. but i you will go with 8051 then you have to add other chip to it for working with it...
and learning is also difficult.

asking only question will not do anything, start and then ask question....

thank you Ritesh for your gracious reply.... I want to start with 8051.

I think I made myself clear enough to you.

I am suggesting you because 8051 has many drawback then latest uC available for example piC16f877a has inbuilt ADC, usart,spi,etc etc in cheap price at Rs~200/. but i you will go with 8051 then you have to add other chip to it for working with it...
and learning is also difficult.

asking only question will not do anything, start and then ask question....

I started on the 8051.. The P89C51RD2 to be exact... This had a built in bootloader... I used RIDE compiler ( free version) and WINISP ( also free now called flash magic )

It was very easy to learn...

Ritesh! Once you grasp the syntax and concept... It doesn't matter which controller you choose... You are learning C... Device independent... Which means once you can program a micro.. swapping to another is relatively easy..

You should definitely learn C and do time-critical stuff with inline ASM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iHFm-kVTXW8#t=772s

It is useless to debate what microcontroller is the best. I like the AVR toolchain and IDE, but I have not used MPLAB for a long time... I'm sure its fine also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBftApUQ8QI

Here is a link to "AT89LP OCD Developer Board" User Manual.. it looks like good board. I have not used it.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/04/doc3720.pdf

Atmel has a nice IDE for their AT89LP (8051) microcontrollers.
http://www.atmel.com/tools/AT89LPDEVELOPERSTUDIO.aspx

Last edited:
It is useless to debate what microcontroller is the best. I like the AVR toolchain and IDE, but I have not used MPLAB for a long time... I'm sure its fine also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBftApUQ8QI

Hi, thanks for sharing this.. it's a nice video to watch...... And now I'm sure to start with 8051 and then gradually moved on to others.....

Hi, thanks for sharing this.. it's a nice video to watch...... And now I'm sure to start with 8051 and then gradually moved on to others.....

Like the man in the video says.. professionals keep their options and mind open :) Learn them all once you get started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back