Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wish to find most common "wall wart" power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
We are designing a product which comprises an 8.5W LED light, a 10W USB charger, and a few other bits. So we need a “wall wart” mains power supply of 24W rating for 90-265vac mains input.
We can design around any input voltage from the wall wart, but want to pick a wall-wart output voltage which will give the widest availability of the wall wart…..the last thing we want is for the wall wart to fail, and then the customer can’t find another one to replace it with..
So which of the following is more widely available off-the-shelf?.....
Wall wart with 12V, or 15V, or 18V or 24V, or 36V, or 48V output?
(and the power being at least 24W)

Here is a picture of a wall wart si it is known to what i refer (not right power level)
**broken link removed**

If you look at the available wall warts from Maplin by output voltage:

9V x 4
12V x 24
15V x 1
18V x 1
24V x 10

This should tell you something? I would personally be looking at using a 12V or perhaps a 24V wall wart because they are more widely available.

If you design for 12Vdc, you can always use a SLA in the event of a power failure. I can run my entire ham station and other things for several days on two 100Ah 12 SLAs I keep charged for that purpose...

Thanks, but Maplin dont do either a 12V wall wart, or a 24V wall wart, with 24W (or more) output...they only go up to 20W.

The following 20W, 24V wall wart uses a "2.5mm mono jack plug" for connection.......
**broken link removed**

I am wondering if we try and suggest to customers to buy a wall wart with a "2.5mm mono jack plug" , what are the chances that in theree years time, there will still be 24V wall warts on the shelves with that exact type of connector?....i suspotec very small.

I am wondering if we will now have to design our own wall wart.....because nobody is going to buy our product of they think that the power supply isnt going to be available anywhere when the provided one fails.

Maplin are expensive.

Try CPC. Here are a collection of 12V 3.5A adapters for very little money although they do others.

If you overate a little they'll probably rarely if ever fail over the lifetime of the product.

Thanks, sorry it does have to be a "wall wart" and not a plug that goes into a separate psu box...the psu needs to be in the plug itself

Thanks, sorry it does have to be a "wall wart" and not a plug that goes into a separate psu box...the psu needs to be in the plug itself

Then your requirements can't really be met - the most common type these days are 5V, used at chargers on almost everything now. Second most common is probably 12V, but your high current requirement means that the vast majority wouldn't be suitable.

You need to either redesign for a lower current requirement, or use a specific and special, high power wall wart.

Beyond a 5V USB adapter, the most common supplies with anything approaching a "standard" output connector are 16V and 19V laptop supplies. Unfortunately, the majority of these are inline supplies with an AC cord, the supply, and a DC cord. But they will be available 5 or more years from now, so they meet all of your requirements but one. You might have to rethink that wall wart requirement.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back