Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wish i would have thought of this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyb15

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/ap_on_hi_te/self_tuning_guitar

Pretty cool idea, I would not mind never having to tune my guitar again.

Neat, except how much is it? WOuld a beginner really spend that much when they could just get a $20 tuner? And would a pro want that on their probably super expensive guitar? A lot of professional musicians don't trust electronic tuners and go by ear (something about the actual spacing of the chords vs the equal spacing used on piano...or something like that, I forget).

I thought of something like this back in high school (late '80s) but never did anything about it. IIRC I saw Gibson come out with a self-tuning guitar in the early '90s sometime and thought "Dang, I really should have done something about that!"

Oh well. *sigh* Since then I've been very involved in live music and some of the better guitarists I know can just tune on the fly while playing (at least for minor adjustments), and many of the others use a tuning pedal which makes tuning live easier. If you have an instrument that is particularly hard to tune (piano, accordion, etc) you will often tune the guitars etc. to that anyway.

Torben

It is very expensive it looks like. (900 bucks maybe? ). I just thought it was pretty cool. I tune my ear, and no i dont need one of these, but neat idea.

I definitely think it's a neat idea. But then I tend to think most of my ideas are neat. :)

Torben

Hm. Dunno. What browser are you using? Firefox latest update seems OK with it, but I do have some ad servers blocked in /etc/hosts, so maybe it's an ad server which is getting your browser down.

I hadn't read the article earlier--guess the thing I read years ago about Gibson regarding a self-tuning guitar must have been one of those "industry news" snippets in a music magazine indicating that they were working on the idea, not actually producing it yet.

Torben

dknguyen said:
Neat, except how much is it? WOuld a beginner really spend that much when they could just get a $20 tuner? And would a pro want that on their probably super expensive guitar? A lot of professional musicians don't trust electronic tuners and go by ear (something about the actual spacing of the chords vs the equal spacing used on piano...or something like that, I forget).

Any decent player can tune by ear, I can't remember the last time my daughter ever used her tuner (and she's got two somewhere?).

Nigel Goodwin said:
Any decent player can tune by ear, I can't remember the last time my daughter ever used her tuner (and she's got two somewhere?).

I can't think of anybody offhand who would pay money for the guitar, however neat it is. That was part of the reason I never chased the idea: it's a solution without a real problem to solve.

Torben

[Edit: clarification.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back