Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring Photocell For Audio Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmoog

Hello, hopefully someone can help me here. I'm trying to wire a Radio Shack photocell to a 1/4" mono audio plug to use the photocell as a variable resistor for audio use. My goal is to use the photocell to control a synthesizer. I got the idea from this link - **broken link removed**

Unfortunately the link doesn't include any directions on how to wire it up. I connected the two leads from the photocell to the two connections (main and ground) on the mono plug. After doing this I was told by a friend that I would probably need a power source for the photocell (which, upon thinking about it, makes sense)

Could anyone tell me how to wire the photocell up to the mono plug in a way that would include perhaps a 9 volt battery as a power source? I apologize if this is a amatuerish question but I am just getting started with electronics.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Isn't the photocell just being used as a variable resistor? In that case, no power source is needed. Just two connections, plug tip and sleeve.

Excellent! Thanks Mike. I was hoping that I would not need to include a power source if I was using the photocell as a variable resistor. My plan is to use the moon as an audio source for recording as weird as that seems. I own a 1972 ARP Odyssey music synthesizer and it has a 'pedal input'. As explained in the link above employing a photocell wired to a 1/4" mono plug enables the use of the flickering light of a candle as an audio "source" to control the synth. I want to take it one step further and use the light of the full moon as the audio source. If it is too weak to register in the photocell I will tape the photocell to the eye of a telescope.

Thanks again Mike.

Check that the photocell is a Cadmium Sulfide Photo-resistor (CDS) type. The ones that are readily available and cheap are the ones used in the photoelectric controls used to turn on yard lights and outdoor lights.

Last edited:
Thanks again Mike, The photocell I bought is a Cadmium Sulfide cell. It looks just like the one on the link you posted. I was able to get the same photocell as the one discussed in the ARP link that I posted in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back