Wiring Photocell For Audio Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmoog

Hello, hopefully someone can help me here. I'm trying to wire a Radio Shack photocell to a 1/4" mono audio plug to use the photocell as a variable resistor for audio use. My goal is to use the photocell to control a synthesizer. I got the idea from this link - **broken link removed**

Unfortunately the link doesn't include any directions on how to wire it up. I connected the two leads from the photocell to the two connections (main and ground) on the mono plug. After doing this I was told by a friend that I would probably need a power source for the photocell (which, upon thinking about it, makes sense)

Could anyone tell me how to wire the photocell up to the mono plug in a way that would include perhaps a 9 volt battery as a power source? I apologize if this is a amatuerish question but I am just getting started with electronics.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Isn't the photocell just being used as a variable resistor? In that case, no power source is needed. Just two connections, plug tip and sleeve.

Excellent! Thanks Mike. I was hoping that I would not need to include a power source if I was using the photocell as a variable resistor. My plan is to use the moon as an audio source for recording as weird as that seems. I own a 1972 ARP Odyssey music synthesizer and it has a 'pedal input'. As explained in the link above employing a photocell wired to a 1/4" mono plug enables the use of the flickering light of a candle as an audio "source" to control the synth. I want to take it one step further and use the light of the full moon as the audio source. If it is too weak to register in the photocell I will tape the photocell to the eye of a telescope.

Thanks again Mike.

Thanks again Mike, The photocell I bought is a Cadmium Sulfide cell. It looks just like the one on the link you posted. I was able to get the same photocell as the one discussed in the ARP link that I posted in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…