Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring for surveillance system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a home surveillance system that we haven't installed on our home yet.
It contains a DVR, 4 cameras and a microphone.

Each camera draws ~110mA in daylight, and ~440mA in full darkness.
I haven't tested the microphone but I estimate it's current draw to be negligible.

As I intend on running the cables through the attic, drilling huge holes to fit the ridiculously large BNC connectors is unacceptable.

What I intend is to replace the original cables of the cameras with Cat5 cables so that I can have power and signal with a small cable and small connector.

What I am wondering is will I have issues I may have with this?
Or perhaps does anyone have advice on the matter.

Yep, sorry. Also the voltage drop if CAT 5 is used for power may also be excessive. There are special siamese cables that contain power and signal, but they are two cables coupled together. Not sure how your audio is handled.

The connectors don't have to be passed through. RG-6 can be fitted with BNC connectors. The outdoor compression variety would be best to use. They do require a crimping too. Home Depot carries them for "F", but not BNC. Alternatively F to BNC adapters can be used. RadioShack may have them.

Alternatively you could create a low voltage flex conduit or rigid conduit but the size is limited. The color of the conduit is used to designate high or low voltage. Home Depot has the stuff as well. Plug the ends with fire stop.

It's tough to drill through 2 x 4's. I can only drill about one 1" hole with my battery powered drill using a flex bit.

I do reccomend doing a home run system even if it's to a box in the basement. There you can distribute power and then go video/audio only to the DVR. There are power distribution systems for DVR's.

Take a look here for some ideas: Home Automation, Programmable Lighting, and Home Security Products from the Leader in Home Automation, HomeControls.com

If you need more hlp, holler. "home automation" and "structured wiring", "camera power supply" are some terms to look for.

I was looking around the web to see why blueroom said it wasn't possible but failed to say why.

So I get the functional difference between coaxial and twisted pair wire and that I need a differential signal to use twisted pair wiring.
Wouldn't that be achievable by running the original signal through a couple op amps to get a differential signal?

your cameras will only work how they are designed with the coax cable that they are supplied with for the video signal, however you could use something like cr0sh suggested

A BNC connector is pretty small and probably no bigger that an RJ45 Cat-5 connector.

If it's a major item cut it off and when you have your wires sorted put new connectors on.

Actually ....This issue has come up before.

Attachments

• Snoopy the Donky.jpg
    Snoopy the Donky.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I already found the conversion circuits online. Nothing like being told you can't do it to motivate you to help yourself.

And I am not willing to pay $40-$100 for a few pairs of circuits that cost no more than a few dollars to construct.

I'll take a better look around my attic. Perhaps I'll find a space to drill the hole and count the camera over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back