Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring Capacitors !HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to tell us what you're using them for. But if you are making a big capacitor out of a bunch of little ones then you don't need a diode between them. Why do you think you might need a diode?

You do need diodes between capacitors for charge pumps.

well man, dont get the wrong idea.. i dont plan to hurt anyone. ive been trying to build a "stun gun". awile back i got one hell of a shock from a dispose. camERa... since then ive been interested in building somthing to produce the same lvl of energy from a 9v. ya know? wireing up cpacitors and trying to convert the energy. this is still pritty new to me but i asure you im being very carefull in my doings. oh and the reason i want this device is, i build potato cannons and would like a better ignition ark between my electrodes... i saw i guy with a stun gun as his ignit. device and it was a sure fire every time. i have box's and box's of all kinds of electronic component's and ive allso been collecting very large capacitors to build a jakes lab. soo rad.. what im saying is ive got acess to what ever i need, just lacking the know how. lol and the reason i just didint go out to my corner store to buy a stun gun is because im from canada and we have restrictions on them.. wanna help me?

You need a high voltage for a spug gun.

A 300V disposable camera flash works at too lower voltage to creat a spark. You need at least 1kV, but I'd recommend at least 5kV.

Use a car ignition coil or a TV flyback transformer for the ignition.

Or just a motorcycle or lawnmower ignition coil. Maybe a flyback from one of the teeny little plasma globes.

Or if you're lucky enough to see someone junking a controller board for a gas furnace, the spark ignitor from one of those.

The piezo spark producer from a lighter has a very low amount of power.
You will be "stunned" that your victims don't feel it.

Thought he was looking for an ignition source for his potato gun, not to "stun victims". Wouldn't this ignitor from the lighter be sufficient? Or is it a bad suggestion?

Norlin said:
Thought he was looking for an ignition source for his potato gun, not to "stun victims". Wouldn't this ignitor from the lighter be sufficient? Or is it a bad suggestion?

Yes this is a good suggestion for a potato gun, they work very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back