Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring a XLR to TRS cable to used on Guitar Amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

Wiring a typical Microphone XLR to a TRS. I plan on using this in a guitar input on a Guitar Amplifier.

XLR = (pin 1 is earth ground) (pin 2 + Positive) (pin 3 - Negative)

TRS = ( tip + positive ) ( ring - Negative ) ( Sleeve Earth Ground )

Do you think it will be OK in the Guitar input this way.

kv

I fail to see what you're asking?, a guitar isn't balanced, and neither is a guitar amplifier - what are you trying to connect to what?.

I think you answered the question. A microphone with a TRS plug on the other end so that can be plugged into an guitar amp input.

So, I think I should unbalanced the TRS connector. right ?

kv

Last edited:
I was asked by a guitar player if I would solder up a cable that would let him plug it into a Guitar amplifier. He said ( My friend did it and it work ?) So, I soldered a balanced cable for him.

But when he plugs it into a Guitar input unbalanced input it will not work for him. Unless he has a mic input on the amplifier.

I'll tell him if he want to put it into an amplifier he will have to go through a mixer first to unbalance it.

Thanks Nigel.

kv

You don't *need* a mixer, but it will probably be the best solution in the long run. You can get away with something like the following: http://store.a2zcable.com/audio-audio-adapters-1-4-inch---xlr.html for simple stuff.

Why does he want to plug a vocal mic into a guitar amp anyway? Is he looking for a weird vocal effect, or just doesn't want to buy a vocal amp?

Torben

Almost all mikes these days are low impedance and balanced, to connect it to a 1/4 inch jack plug you simply connect one of the two conductors to ground along with the screen. The 1/4 inch jack plug should be mono, not stereo, a stereo one connected like you suggested won't work in a mono socket.

However, as the mike is low impedance, and the guitar input high impedance, it won't work at all well - it will be very quiet. Easiest solution is a mike transformer, you can buy these for this exact purpose (either as an adaptor, or a short lead - I prefer the short lead versions) - it accepts a 600 ohm balanced input, and provides a 50,000 ohm (supposedly) un-balanced output. It still won't be very loud though, as a guitar is a high output device, and a mike a low output device - but it's 'near enough' and has been used that way for many decades.

Almost all mikes these days are low impedance and balanced, to connect it to a 1/4 inch jack plug you simply connect one of the two conductors to ground along with the screen. The 1/4 inch jack plug should be mono, not stereo, a stereo one connected like you suggested won't work in a mono socket.

However, as the mike is low impedance, and the guitar input high impedance, it won't work at all well - it will be very quiet. Easiest solution is a mike transformer, you can buy these for this exact purpose (either as an adaptor, or a short lead - I prefer the short lead versions) - it accepts a 600 ohm balanced input, and provides a 50,000 ohm (supposedly) un-balanced output. It still won't be very loud though, as a guitar is a high output device, and a mike a low output device - but it's 'near enough' and has been used that way for many decades.

He said something about the drummer. I think it was supposed to be like a monitor so he could hear the guitar maybe ? I'm not sure if he was going to use the mic for vocals.

I'll check out the Transformer. If he says he wants it.

Thanks Torben - Nigel

kv

A TRS plug (stereo or balanced) on the cable becomes unbalanced when it is plugged into the moro jack (T and S) of the guitar amplifier. Then when you scream loudly into the low level mic you might be heard softly at the output of the amplifier.
A mic preamp is needed.

Last edited:
A TRS plug (stereo or balanced) on the cable becomes unbalanced when it is plugged into the moro jack (T and S) of the guitar amplifier.

Only if the guitar amp uses stereo sockets wired as mono - a standard mono socket won't short ring and sleeve together.

However, if you insert a mono plug in a stereo socket, it shorts the ring and sleeve pins together on the socket.

Only if the guitar amp uses stereo sockets wired as mono - a standard mono socket won't short ring and sleeve together.

However, if you insert a mono plug in a stereo socket, it shorts the ring and sleeve pins together on the socket.
Correct. I had the plugs and jacks mixed up.

Been awhile.

Correct. I had the plugs and jacks mixed up.

Been awhile eh (Nigal n Guru.) I'll bet you guy's don't have deal with this stuff much anymore Maybe (Nigel). I actually obtained this TRS plug from a unit that was on an old analog video conference box. It was a kit type of thing in a huge wooden box with camera's and mics etc. It would run though fiber and then piped out to the Cable Company with the MCU Bridges. I really have thought about all my stuff at work being legacy until this. I might want to keep some.

I won't let the surplus people have it for awhile.

I am going to get an amplifier for my guitar ( Fender Strat ) with blues pickups I have strings for life. It's going to require a specialized amp that has been built for that Guitar it's an old tube amp I haven't seen it yet. I'll bet it's a valve amp.

I just didn't have the cash as it was a birthday present from my wife. Retailing at about $1500 us before the installation of the pickups. But she was able to get it from one of our friends for $500 us. I had been wanting a good guitar for awhile.

kv

I still want to take time to build some good effects stuff. Not much time lately Before I die kind of stuff (If you know what I mean) Cheers :D

Thanks... Guru, Nigel.

I'll be back with some more questions if I can get money to pay for the Amplifier.

Been awhile eh (Nigal n Guru.) I'll bet you guy's don't have deal with this stuff much anymore Maybe (Nigel).

I do the PA for my daughter's various musical activities, so I'm well versed in PA amps, microphones etc. :D

Although I must admit, I've not had to do any PA for a few months now, all gigs have been with provided PA recently.

You guys seem to know a lot about audio. Could you respond to my post, “What is the best way to connect amp and recorder?”

I do the PA for my daughter's various musical activities, so I'm well versed in PA amps, microphones etc. :D

Although I must admit, I've not had to do any PA for a few months now, all gigs have been with provided PA recently.

Nigal. I have found one of these line matching transformers locally in my area and it is rated input 600/50 ohms would that be because we are at 60 Hz.

Would you recommend this one ?

kv

Nigal. I have found one of these line matching transformers locally in my area and it is rated input 600/50 ohms would that be because we are at 60 Hz.

Mains frequency obviouslty has nothing to do with audio impedances :D

Are you sure it's not 600/50Kohms? - that's the standard mike transformer.

Would you recommend this one ?

No picture, so I don't know what it is.

Mains frequency obviouslty has nothing to do with audio impedances :D

Are you sure it's not 600/50Kohms? - that's the standard mike transformer.

No picture, so I don't know what it is.

oops yep. I guess it will be ok then. It's just the one you gave the link to was 500/50kohms.

Thanks Nigal.

Here's a pick but this one is the 500/50kohms. The local electronics center where I am has the 600/50kohms but looks the same.

https://www.djsoundkit.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=G132B

kv

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back