Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring a latching relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

behrendfry

The relay is a NAiS TQ2-L-5V and I am trying to wire it into a circuit. I only have 2 of them and I don't want to connect it wrong and possibly ruin it. The data sheet is on the web link below and page 136 (4) is the wire diagram. I am interested in the 1 coil latching (reset condition). The relay is being used to power a device and once it is activated I want it to stay in that state until it is reset by the user. Can anyone help me in how to read this diagram, where would I wire the reset button?

**broken link removed**

well you have two coils.
when you energize one, relay turns to state1.
when you energize the other, relay turns to state2.
according to datasheet and page number you have
provided, coil1 is connectedto pins 1 and 10,
while coil2 is 11 and 20.

common contacts are 4, 7, 14 and 17.
in state1, they are connected to 5, 8, 13, 16, (white)
in state2, they are connected to 3, 6, 15, 18 (black)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

panic mode said:
well you have two coils.
when you energize one, relay turns to state1.
when you energize the other, relay turns to state2.
according to datasheet and page number you have
provided, coil1 is connectedto pins 1 and 10,
while coil2 is 11 and 20.

common contacts are 4, 7, 14 and 17.
in state1, they are connected to 5, 8, 13, 16, (white)
in state2, they are connected to 3, 6, 15, 18 (black)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay
Panic mode, you're leading him down the garden path.
The datasheet clearly says this is a one-coil relay.
Behrendfry, I'm assuming you have a 5 volt supply. You have to apply 5 volts for at least 5 milliseconds to activate it, and -5V for the same amount of time to deactivate it. This can probably be done with the single 5 volt supply, but we need some more information. What sort of switches are you using to activate and reset this relay?

Ooops,

Thanks Ron, you are right of course :shock:

Hi behrendfry,

A subtle point on the relay datasheet(bottom p.134) which might escape your attention but probably would only be of relevence if the target device is of great importance.

The relay manufacturer recommend on a 5V system to use a 4.5V rated coil relay if one wants to drive its coil using semiconductor. Apparantly the 5V coil relay is made so that its coil be driven via other contacts.

The drawing shows 3 options for latching relays.

The first shows how a normal relay can be latched by applying a holding current via a NC contact. This method suffers from the disadvantage that it requires energy to keep the relay operated whereas the latching relays only need energy to operate and release.

The single coil latching circuit is an alternative to the use of a -Vs supply to release the relay (as suggested by Ron above). This option can be used where a negative supply is not available

Attachments

• relay_latching.gif
    relay_latching.gif
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,168
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I've learned more from the people on this site than I did in my 4yrs of college. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back