Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless VHF from 3-element Yagi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisdale

I am interested in wirelessly transmitting a signal from a 3-element yagi in the 148-174MHz or 216-222 MHz range to a hand held receiver. The yagi has a female BNC connector to a RG58/U coaxial cable. This is specifically for mobile wildlife tracking applications. Currently I use a coaxial cable and it is a huge hassle to uncoil and recoil every time. I was wondering if anybody knew of a product (the smaller the better) or a way to cheaply make a transmitter that can replace the coaxial cable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

An example of the kind of yagi I use can be found here:
**broken link removed**

The receiver is this model:
**broken link removed**

As you said, this equipment is specifically for tracking wildlife. Transmitting through the Yagi (instead of using the Yagi for receiving an animal's radio collar) is not permitted under the license-free rules that apply to the use of the frequencies reserved for wildlife tracking.

What are you trying to do?

Maybe transmit was the wrong word. The yagi would be receiving the signal from the VHF transmitter on the collared animal like normal usage, but I want the signal to travel wirelessly to the receiver instead of through the coaxial cable.

... Currently I use a coaxial cable and it is a huge hassle to uncoil and recoil every time...
My emphasis.

Welcome to ETO, Grisdale!

Perhaps obvious, but a shorter cable won't suffice?

Wildlife tracking and receiving is amazing to me. I heard explorer are allowed to fit a transmitter to the animal but weight of the transmitter should be limited to 2% of the animal. Some small birds are just few grams and explorer were fitting tiny transmitter, looked like a Needle of syringe. I don't know how they make such tiny transmitter with built in battery and Antennna too. They were receiving the bird from very far using such 3 element Yagi. Probably the receiver was the most sensitive!

We used the lower HF band to make Polar Bear tracking transmitters, where they were using a plane for tracking hibernation patterns in the late 70's in Northern Manitoba.

We used the lower HF band to make Polar Bear tracking transmitters, where they were using a plane for tracking hibernation patterns in the late 70's in Northern Manitoba.
Hi, Why lower band of HF? It needs longer dipole, maybe which was not portable. Do it mean that the lower HF is nice than VHF to transmit through ice. Signal need to cross ice if bears are in hibernation inside ice cave.

Friis losses are higher at VHF but antenna gain may also be worse if length is much shorter than 1/4W.
Threshold of detection is reduced by noise reduction of narrower IF BW and only needs to be wide enough to detect burst pulse width and any drift of f. Such as 50ppm or better if using 1 ppm TCXO. Avg. Power in Tx is a function of Ppk*tOn/tCycle rate so increasing peak power and reducing duty cycle are tradeoffs with filter noise BW. I recall Tx antenna was a loop around neck collar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back