Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless USB dongle (USB wire replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

italiangoose

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I have noticed that there are a few makers of wireless USB kits (**broken link removed**) out there, and I was wondering if someone has thought about something similar, maybe alittle more pratical.

I have a digital camera, that I connect to my PC via a USB cable (to transfer picture to my computer - and also remotely take pictures from my PC). I was wondering if someone has thought about making an ADHOC system especially for this. eg: a USB key that connects to the computer, and a USB key (with correct adadpter) that connects directly to my digital camera, and together they do the same thing as a USB wire does.

One of the downfalls of the link I posted previously is that the USB key that you connect to your camera (or other device), has to be connected to a base which inturn is connected to a wall socket (electricity). So therefore making the entire device not very wireless. In my case with a digital camera, I cannot move around the room or change rooms in that matter.

Has anyone thought about something like this? An auto powered USB key (either battery operated, or uses the cameras battery), thereby making the entire device wireless?

Any idea or projects, please let me know :)

I have already viewed the Eye-fi. A problem with this is that my camera takes CF cards. And with using the Eye-fi and compact flash adapter, the wireless range is diminished dramatically, not to mention the transmission speed. A problem with the Eye-fi is also that it doesn't work with RAW images.

I have a Canon 40d. Canon have release a wireless file transmitter (costing a small $800+ - just kidding with the small :p) so I was wondering if there was another more practical alternative. Also because if in a year or 2 I decide to change model or even makes, I would not want to by a new wireless file transmitter.

The Eye-fi was a great alternative and to be honest I was contemplating on purchasing one with the compact flash adapter. But after reading reviews of transmission speeds and poor signal due to the adapter, I'm alittle put off by this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back