Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless sensor network

Status
Not open for further replies.

electro98221

Hi,
I am trying to build a wirless sensor network using zigbee. The network will consist of four nodes that have certain sensors on them. Each node will transmitt its sensor information to be received by the rest. There is only one channel allocated, so frequency multiplexing is not allowed. I have no experience with wireless tranmission protocols. I am looking for a simple and effecient protocol which can avoid collisions and work with n nodes(ad-hoc capabilities would be a bonus). Any help is much appreciated.

I think you can choose the "series 2" modules which are mesh networks which will do that for you. They also handle the collisions and stuff. All you really need to do (I think) is send the ID of the transmission node (if that isn't done so already) along with your data. But from your "frequency multiplexing is not allowed" requirement it might not be possible since the Zigbee modules themselves may be using other transmission methods.

Last edited:
I do not know anything about Zigbee.

Most sensor networks have little traffic so overhead is
of no concern.

Here are two ways you could do it.

The first would be to have node X+1 transmit its data after receiving
data from node X. Node 0 would transmit after seeing data from node 3.

The other would be to designate one node the master and have it
tell the other nodes when to transmit.

In either case a node with no new data either retransmits the old data
or a msg that it has no data.

Thanks for the replies. I have implemented a simple program based on 3vo's first method and time division multiplexing. Does anyone know how to implement multi-hop routing so that the network range can be extended?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back