Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless RS232 IR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morkai

Hello there everyone, I'm new to this forum, found it while googling stuff for a school project. :D

I'm doing a project in my telecommunications course, and wanted to ask for some help and what not. :p
Razz

I am trying to build an Infrared Transmitter and receiver that will take an RS-232 signal, convert it into TTL, then Pulse Width Modulation would be applied, and then finally transmitted. On the reciever side, basically extracting the orignal TTL signal from the Pulse Width Modulated signal and converting it back to RS-232.

I already know how to convert from RS-232 to TTL, and i've been trying to find information on PWM and IR, and found some articles and schematics.

I wanted to know if anyone could recommend how I should approach this, or tell me of any links or sites with some good information.

I'm mainly concerned about the Pulse Width Modulation, modulating the TTL signal and demodulating it.

Any help would be great! Thanks! :)

Check my PIC tutorials for IR transmission and reception, it could easily be modified for RS232 - bear in mind the many extra bits will slow it considerably!.

Hi,
Heres a good link with everything you need (including good explanations), and its SUPER simple. I used a PIC instead of a BASIC stamp - its pretty much the same, and WAY cheaper and faster.

Wow...

Thank you guys!

Lots of good information, this should make things a hell of a lot easier. :p

Altough, I'm not sure if I'll use a PIC, but I shall see. :)

Radio Shack sells IR transceivers as a module. Actually I'm thinking it's a receiver that I remember seeing, a transmitter might just be an IR LED.

It's cheap and would be effective, though it may bypass the steps you wanted to learn about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back