Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless router automatic backup system using 12v battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkdale44

Hello

I have built an automatic backup system for my asus router, well its not much but two 12v relays on pcb board powered by the router's 12v adapter. So what happens is when relays are powered, my router runs on 12v provided by its adapter(adapter is used to power relays and router simultaneously). When adapter's power supply is cut off , relays connects my router to the battery supply. Although this system is quite good and works better than expected but there is a flaw in this. You must have figured out already!! You see when power is switched between adapter to battery and battery to adapter, there is a pause of half second (500 ms) before everything gets into place(relays taking almost a second to switch power), this make my router to reboot and it takes about 30sec to 1min before i can use the Internet again.

So either way please help me fix this so router doesn't restart when power source is being switched or provide me with better circuit where router stays always on even during power cut.

Regards!
Thank you

Hello

I have built an automatic backup system ........You see when power is switched between adapter to battery and battery to adapter, there is a pause of half second (500 ms) before everything gets into place(relays taking almost a second to switch power), this make my router to reboot and it takes about 30sec to 1min before i can use the Internet again.

So either way please help me fix this so router doesn't restart when power source is being switched or provide me with better circuit where router stays always on even during power cut.
Regards!
Thank you
you can parallel the 12V adopter a thro' a diode to the battery and connect it to the load. when power fails reverse leakage would be avoided. but te battery charging need to be done seperately.

You can think about **broken link removed**.

I just leave my router plugged into the same UPS that supports the computers. Did that with my old Linksys WRT54 routers and it worked fine when mains failed. Now I have a large Arris which is off my cable and is phones, wireless and wired. It runs fine off the UPS.

Finally when they ripped out the old cypher lock systems at work I snatched the battery backup boards which ranged from 1 amp to 3 amps. They were all just the boards and just like these systems. Think I have seen the 1 amp boards like this for about $70 on E Bay and other places.

Just remember you want something that should maintain a float charge on your battery.

Ron

That's why I suggested modifying the circuit I linked to along the lines of mvs sarma's post.

Ron

Relays are bad, especially if one is powered after a power cut. They suck about as much power as the router...

Last edited:
Power needs to be supplied by Schottky diode OR pair . "hi man wins" in charging the Cap inside the router. Drop ought to be < 0.25V from a 15A diode or 2%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back