Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless RF preamplifier or booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Sanders

Can a person determine the Bands used on a given cell tower, and if so, is a homebrew RF preamplifier or booster possible? I see commercial boosters are not cheap, and I assume it's because of the multi band problem. I live in the country and would like to get away from my satellite internet system. I am getting enough 4G LTE signal for cell phone use, but not strong enough for good internet use. Will I need a preamplifier for receiving and an amplifier for transmitting? Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dean Sanders

GSM internet is expensive too, dont be watching movies on it!.....
but you may get away with a cheaper one depending on the "Gain" you need...
**broken link removed**

My solution to the problem of too weak of a signal to use GSM for voice and data while living out in the country was to to have a beam antenna mounted on a mast and aimed at the nearest cell tower. There was a shop in town that did that and TV antennas who put the whole thing together for us? Connecting an external antenna to your phone would probably be much easier than trying to build amplifier(s). Our phone had an external antenna jack on it while a neighbor used a commercially available coupler of some sort because their phone did not have an antenna jack.

If there are other people in your area you might find that there is a turn-key solution like the one we found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back