Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless networking/Internet connection sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sram

You guys know that if you are in a flat, you can easily steal your neighbor Wifi signal and use the internet freely. I'm just thinking is there a way to let you share your connection over an extented distance? Say 2 Km? For example, if me and my brother/friend who is living 1 or so miles away from my house decided to share one connection, and pay one bill instead of two, can we do this by using range extenders/boosters? and secure the connection so that no one other than us can use the connection? is it ganna be reliable enough?

Your ideas/comments are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

sram said:
I'm just thinking is there a way to let you share your connection over an extented distance? Say 2 Km?
Wireless wise, yes. You need to make or get a hold of two transceivers and connect them to your computer. You may need to dismantle the transceivers first.

For example, if me and my brother/friend who is living 1 or so miles away from my house decided to share one connection, and pay one bill instead of two, can we do this by using range extenders/boosters?
Maybe. I assume these just amplify the signal. The trouble with relying on amplification alone is that everything is amplified (including the unwanted components such as white noise).

...so that no one other than us can use the connection?
To make that happen, your data must be encoded before sending it, and the receiver must be able to decode the data. Any unauthorized people who is able to scan the data will see junk.

is it ganna be reliable enough?
Maybe. It depends where the two computers are located, and what other transmitting devices are nearby.

It also depends on the power of the transmitter and receiver.
By the way, if you are doing this on the wrong frequency, you could be commiting a crime.

do you have line of sight? if so, you can get a small satellite dish antenna for both ends and use 802.11 bridges. google has the info. there is at least one report from a guy who claims a connection at 23 miles. basically, it's a highly directional antenna. obviously, even at a mile, you will need prety good alignment.

I think this can be done fairly cheaply with but wonder if it's worth the effort to save a few bucks a month.

mramos1 said:
google for cantina.

What you really need is to google for CANTENNA.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back