Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless network - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz115

Hello!

i desperetely seek for help!!! :(

I want to build a wireless network with a friend of mine, we have two wireless cards Dlink DWL-G520, the air distance is roughly 350m, my computer distance from the aerial will be 25m and my friend's computer has a distance from the aerial 15m. Because the distances of the aerials with the computers are very big we are thinking for the LMR400 cable with 0,2dB/m loss, for aerial we're thinking for a 60cm satellite dish (the ones which they use for the satellite television..i don't know if it needs specific for the 2.4GHz) and for feeder we still don't know which one to choose.

If our calculations are right, from the cable i will lose roughly 5dBm and my friend 3dBm from the pigtail and N type connectors i heard that you can lose
2dBm, the wireless network adapters are 15dBm (+/- 2) then logically at the aerial i send 8dBm my friend 10dbm, the satellite dish with feeder
i have no idea how much gain it has.. the one we found on a catalog we suppose that it has 9dbi, then i emit with 17dB and my friend 19dB.

The EETT (national committee for wireless communications) prohibites emissions over 20dbm for the 2.4GHz band. So the above calculations are within the limits of emission...

I know that the best choice would be an AP with PoE close to my aerial
so i can limit the loses from the RF cable...but this is not an option for me,
we already have the wireless network adapters and the cost for the specific equipment (AP and PoE) is bigger than what we're thinking to do.

As we think it the link is possible?

thanks!

Are you trying to set a network between your house and your friend's house?
Don't you still need a wireless router to act as a hub? You're not trying to link two wireless PCI cards directly together are you?

Maybe a directional antenna 2.4GHz YAGI antenna or something. Personally, I'd just use the internet there's probably some software that lets you simulate the same thing. WHy go through all this trouble (and money)?

THey don't send satellite TV signals at 2.4GHz you know, so the dish won't work.

Last edited:
There is no need for a router if you want to connect two computers together wirelessly, but you will need to manually set the ip addresses, as there will be no DHCP server in the sytem.

I have connected two wireless laptops in a network without a router. It is called an "ad hoc" or "peer to peer" network.

I don't know how to do the calculations, but 350 m with directional aerials is no problem. I used to have an internet connection that was wireless to the house. The access point was 2 km from the house, and it used a 15cm square aerial. There has to be a direct line between two aerials.

??? If you buy cable antenna .... you will spend money... maybe will be cheap if you buy TP-Link TL-WA501G Wireless Access Point (35 euro) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back