Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless network design

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

I'm trying to draw up a plan for a wireless sensor network that is going to be integrated into a system which monitors the activites of elderly people to see if they need some sort of assistance. I wanted to know if any one had any experience of building a WSN and if so what parts i should be looking to use?

I've built a wireless link before, but it was an omnidirection link, with one transmitter and one reciever. I think for the WSN i'm going to need a set of transcievers with one transciever acting as a central node that dictates when the other nodes with the sensors attached can transmitt data. Has anyone done anything like this before does this sound right?

Last edited:
You might google for "Fernmess- und Wirksysteme".

I used to install and maintain them in Germany.

They use sensors sensing the body position (horizontal or vertical) and activate a telephone line connecting to a person who assists those people in case they fall and are unable to move.

There lots of more applications for that system.

Boncuk

Hey, been reading up ZigBee and i'm having trouble understanding something? Whats different about a ZigBee transciever and any other transciever. Every bit of information says Zigbee is a low-data rate, low-power protocal, but why is it more so than other products. Surely the power consumpution will be the same as any other RF device with the same data rate?

Some transceivers are just a radio and you have to make up the interface, addressing plan, etc.

The ZigBee has a on board computer that talks different modes and complicated addressing modes. It "talks" like a PC network. If ZigBee (5) want to talk to ZigBee (952) but 5 can not see 952 then it will hunt for and ZigBee that can see 952. So 5 might send data to 23 that will sent it on to 103 that will relay on to 952. If the ZigBees are moving around the network will keep of who can talk to whom. And ZigBees that are from a different network will not interfere.

Ok, so there's not really any benifit in terms of power consumption. Using Zigbee just offers some advantage in terms of range because you can send data via other nodes in the network.
is this the sort of product you were talking about.

**broken link removed**

is it easy to select which node you want to send data to?

hope this makes sense.
thanks,
ed

That is a small Zigbee!
It has been a long time ago I read the manual. but....
I remember a register that says I am 5. (do not change)
A register, this message is for 205. (change this often)
There is an address like ffffh that is for every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back