Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless data acquisition platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

microSD

Hi,

Our team built pneumatic powered vehicle and we would like to log significant data about our vehicle. Cylinder's pressures, temperatures, air flows, GPS, IMU and some more. In total we need to inspect 33 sensors. All of them about 10 times per second. Preferably 1 or 2 km distance from car, during a race.
Also, engine is controlled with Bosch Rexroth PLC unit.

So what would be the best option to gather such data and analyse it. We have budget of 1000 EUR and countless hours of time.

Our vision was to gather data, send it to computer (max 2km further) and analyse it with custom labview program.
At the moment we are not sure which development board to use to start with and which should be the main architecture. Should we use SPI or serial? etc.

We are located in europe.
We have been programming ARM and Arduino controllers.

Vehicle cad picture:
**broken link removed**

Best regards

here is RF device that can go 2km, and can do 4 bits,
Look at the comment on the device. No one could get 2km, or 1km or 300m.
Look at this comment:
There is absolutly no documentation for these device, and also, how could i get these 5Kbps? I can transmitt 3 bits per second as maximun!

We have been programming ARM and Arduino controllers.
For the money I would look at Raspberry Pie, PCduino, or Beagle Bone. They cost only slightly more than Arduino but are much more.
You need to take 330 readings/second.
The RF link will be a problem. You will not be able to connect all the time.
I think you will need to store readings and transmit them when the car is in good places for the FR link to work.

CowBoyBob has a good idea. Some modules like the x-bee have a "mesh network" where you can place a line of modules down the track and if the car can talk to any module the the data will be handed off from module to module until it gets back to the PC.

2.4 ghz is a band for indoor use. It will not work well out doors if there is water in the air. Will not work in rain. Will not work well in high humidity. It is very "line of sight". Will not work through tree. I am now using 5ghz which cuts through water.

In some countries you can use 900mhz. Some of the xBee type radios come with a 900mhz option. Much better for out doors.

You could use a cell phone. You data rate is about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back