Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire to board connector problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Diorio

Hi All

New around here probably 90% of tech talk will go right over my head. Proof of that is the question I have below.

I am a trying to replace the input selector in my dsp a2070. it is soldered to a pcb I can not figure out how to release this type wire to board connector so I can remove pcb from unit Iuploaded a picture and would appreciate if someone familiar with this type connection can tell me how to remove it. Only marking I see is JST

jst.jpg

Thanks
Anthony

Are you sure the connector is not soldered to the board? The yellow-orange thing looks like it might be an IDC (insulation displacement connector). The wires would insert from the side you can't see. Conceivably, they could be added after the connector was soldered to the board or, maybe more likely, the connector came pre-loaded with the wires and was then soldered to the board. The wires could also be attached to the connector with crimp fittings. In either event, you probably do not want to remove the individual wires.

JST lists several devices like this: https://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=219

Another of the devices looked very similar and was soldered to the boards (https://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=248 ). The others pop into a hole on the board and make contact with a trace on the board or plated through hole in the board. The latter could be removed by carefully prying the connector from the board. The former will show solder on the back side of the board. That type will need to be unsoldered.

More pictures of the board bottom and hidden side (using a mirror?) would help. Also knowing the pitch (center-to-center distance) between the wires will help.

John

Difficult to tell because your pic has poor focus.

Try to get a good in focus pic on the face indicated by the red arrow here:
Connector.png

But first, try to get a flat blade screwdriver or similar down the back of the connector as shown by the green arrow.
If this connector is the type that I think, there is a broad "hook" on the upright back plate of the base which engages with a notch in the moving part of the connector which holds the wires.

JimB

Attachments

• Connector.png
    Connector.png
    522.4 KB · Views: 308
Thanks for the replies ...I'll try and take a clearer picture. As far as it being soldered to the board, I was hoping that wasn't the case. I don't understand why they would do that, there are a few quick release type connectors on the same board. I am leaning towards it being soldered as there is no place to put a blade. I just don't get why they would use this type connector.

Hi Al

I am a trying to replace the input selector in my dsp a2070. it is soldered to a pcb I can not figure out how to release this type wire to board connector...

I am familiar with the JST connectors used in Yamaha products. Usually, the yellow connector is a crimped soldered connector.---there is no release.
Some of the series utilize a hollow bi metal pin expanded in middle. It serves to create a secure holding bond against the board before soldering.
It can be difficult to remove without proper desoldering equipment.

Thanks for the replies ...I'll try and take a clearer picture. As far as it being soldered to the board, I was hoping that wasn't the case. I don't understand why they would do that, there are a few quick release type connectors on the same board. I am leaning towards it being soldered as there is no place to put a blade. I just don't get why they would use this type connector.

As I suggested above, just look at the bottom of the board under the connector. Do you see pins penetrating the board? Are they soldered? There are surface mounted connectors, but the JST catalog that I linked to showed through hole connectors.

John

As I suggested above, just look at the bottom of the board under the connector. Do you see pins penetrating the board? Are they soldered? There are surface mounted connectors, but the JST catalog that I linked to showed through hole connectors.

John
Yes John the pins penetrate the bottom of board. One on the links you provided is exactly what it looks like. Maybe Nigel is right and there is a plug in on the other end. While writing this reply I decided to see if Nigel's suggestion was right. I had to take a few other parts off to even see the other ends, but he is right there are plug in sockets. At least now I can get board out to de-solder Input selector.

Thanks all

It doesn't always work that way, but usually it does - I have found occasional ones though where it's soldered both ends.

Well it this case you were right and if I run across a similar situation it will be the first thing I check. I actually thought about it but was lazy and didn't feel like removing other parts. In any case I was able to remove the pcb and de-soldered the selector switch. Just waiting for new part to arrive.

Thanks again
Anthony

Tell me about it!, I've been repairing equipment professionally for many decades, and it can be a real pain when you have to dismantle more than you have to just because of plugs only at one end of a cable.

I find tinkering therapeutic. I am a newbie at electronics, but I catch on pretty quick. Here is a link to what got me started. (Its a tube amp I built) I thought I did a good enough job that I could tackle repairs. Especially knowing that there are people on forums like this to help me if I get stuck.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/08brzllftklna5e/AADl5_GJa_vP2TGEyAYat8Cna?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0pbn62e9klcmfzk/AABpDiBtUh4J0X11BwOkmSpua?dl=0

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back