Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wire strain relief question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AweLucid

'ello.
I am trying to find information on how to install or select a strain relief for my circuit. And I only know that my solder joints are facing a lot of stress and some are coming loose due to the perpetual movement of the large size projects that must be collapsed every time I put it away or take it out. An y advise or links to advice are very much appreciated.

I am working with perforated sodering boards, (there is one central board with my main MCU and circuit, and it spiders out to eight periferal node circuits that surround the circumfrance of a large PVC circle). Data wires are being run through cat-5 wires, and there are are two thicker wires (possibly 16 gauge wires running 24VAC, also some medium guage wires gauge wires carry +5VDC, +12VDC and a common ground wire.

Right now the wires simply stick right out of the bread boards, that are not yet mounted onto a rigid enclosure, and so they flop around when i move them. I have never used strain relfief and only know that I need it. What is the best kind for my situation and how do i install it? do i mount it to the bread board or do i need to hurry up and get my enclosures before I can utilize them. Taping the wires against the board is my temperary solution, maybe I can simply screw down a bar that will press the insulated wire into place against board into the to relieve stress at the joints.

Thanks again for your advice.

thank you very much.

"maybe I can simply screw down a bar that will press the insulated wire into place against board into the to relieve stress at the joints."

That might work OK and not cost too much. Otherwise something like this?

SparkFun Electronics - Screw Terminals 3.5mm Pitch (2-Pin)

Keep in mind that wire comes in all kinds of flexibility and quality. The real flexible stuff have many more strands of finer gauge and the insulation is softer and all that helps to cut down on mechanical strain. You will just have to experiment to see what works best for you.

I have not had good luck soldering external wires to those single sided solder type strip boards. The copper pads come loose as there are no plated through holes to add strength to the copper strip traces.

Lefty

Taping the wires against the board is my temperary solution, maybe I can simply screw down a bar that will press the insulated wire into place against board into the to relieve stress at the joints.

I use hot-melt glue when I need to do this, works really well.

I use hot-melt glue when I need to do this, works really well.

Seconded. As a bonus, it's relatively easy to remove without destroying anything.

I'd also second the screw terminal idea. Pin headers also work well if it's something you have to take apart and store frequently.

Torben

moe in wichita ks
drill a hole in perf board or box, tie a knot in the coard. get out the hot glue gun cover the cord with glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back