Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire length, amp, awg calc

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Ive seen and read quite a few sites now and all state i should be able to get away with 1a @120v on a 20awg . The length will be no more that 5 inches.

How would i go about calculating the thinnest safest wire to use?

120v AC, Approx 1A , Max 6inch long wire.

Thats what i need to wire but the enclosure is pretty small so im looking for safest smallest wire. Most likely copper not aluminum.

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• nec ampacities-2.pdf
    459.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
For 1A you can go stupidly small; but for 120 or 240 supplies it is matter of adequate insulation and more importantly how it is protected, rather than physically smallest wire.

For safety regulations there must be a fuse beforehand that will blow without the wiring heating dangerously in case of a fault; that fuse defines what wire you can use.

If you have a 1A fuse on the supply connection then you could easily go down to 24AWG (0.2mm^2), that's rated 3.5A

We use 0.5mm^2 routinely as both single core and YY multicore in industrial machines, for low current circuits at up to 240V. That has a nominal rating of 9A in open air.

Also depends on resistance in the cable, but at 1/2 a foot, I doubt it matters... 28 awg will work, but I always work in a big safety factor.. I agree with rjenkinsonGB... 24AWG.

**Question.... Is AWG the same as SWG... We tend to use Standard Wire Gauge over here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back