Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire gauge for 12v DC fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockyd

I want to install a small (6in. diam.) fan in a vehicle. I want to hook it up to the lighter/power outlet using a lighter plug, max wire length would be 4-5 ft. The question I have is what wire gauge should I be using? There is no indication on the motor except "ACC Climate Control" and 12v. There are no markings on the wire itself. My initial take on this would be to use standard 16 gauge lamp cord. Is this likely to be sufficient? If not, what would be the likely consequence? If I want to be more accurate, how can I measure the amperage draw of the motor? All I have is a standard multimeter.

You could jsut use the multimeter to measure the current the fan draws. At 16AWG, I'd think would be just fine though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back