Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wire Current Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I cannot figure out a way to get the conductor count of my latest idea down to two, I guess I'm going to need to find some inexpensive multi-conductor cable. I was comparing prices over at All Electronics and got to wondering. What is the current capacity of 24ga solid telephone wire and the 24ga Cat 5 cable?

Secondly, if I use the cat 5 cable, will there be an issue sending slow signals down the twisted pairs? By slow I mean signals less than 1Hz, a couple of push button switches and indictator light signals.

**broken link removed**

Cat 5 will work for low-voltage, low-current signaling.

Mike, Thanks for the link to the NEC chart (I needed that for my upcoming home remodel). Do you know of a more general one that may contain the current capacity for 16-30ga?

Give this a read. If I recall correctly this is for signaling lamps? Consider the temperature derating if required which I doubt.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back