Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WinPic+Tait+16F84A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh@dow

I built a programmer according this cheme:
**broken link removed**
it's David Tait's programmer modified a bit by Bob Blick.

I'm using WinPic sofware and PiC16F84A-04 controller.
I choose in Interface menu 7407(driver)+pnp transistor
When i press initialize message "Could not initialize programmer" comes
What's the problem.
When i check Vpp,a 13 volt appear between 4 and 5 legs of the chip
When i check Vdd a led turns on and off
Also Clock and Data (to PC) affects on the led.
I use SMPORT driver on WinXP SP/2 workstation

1.How WinPic knows that interface could not be initialized,it wait message from microcontroller?

Sh@dow said:
Also Clock and Data (to PC) affects on the led.
This shouldn't happen. Neither data or clock should effect the LED. This suggests you have something wrong with your circuit.
1.How WinPic knows that interface could not be initialized,it wait message from microcontroller?

It toggles the data line and if the Ack line changes then it assumes the interface is OK.

Here is a useful page that you should read.

Mike.

Last edited:
Pommie said:
This shouldn't happen. Neither data or clock should effect the LED. This suggests you have something wrong with your circuit.
Mike.

It only affects the led when PIC is inserted in the socket,when not the led is not
blinking.When pic is inserted and when i check Clock,the led is blinking with a high fqequency.Is it normal?

I would like to ask if PIC is inserted and i check Clock the LED must blink or not.
On my programmer it is blinking but only when PIC is inserted when not LED does
not blinking.Is it ok?

The data line should not effect the LED. If the pic is programmed and you have a very poor power supply then this could explain the blinking. I suggest you double check your circuit and read the link that I (and Bill) posted earlier.

Mike.

Ive the same programmer, check ur hardware. In my programmer LED comes up only when VDD is high.

have u inverted ur VPP & VDD? check this if it works with inverted.

best way is to check manually each pin while enabling from software.

I checked the circuit enabling from software and i found an interesting thing.

The circuit is here: **broken link removed**
As i understand the software checks whether the Ack (10pin on LPT) was inverted and if it heppens the interface is initialized correctly.

Suppose the PIC is not inserted.When i dont check the Data the 10 pin is 0
when i check Data the pin10 is 1 (4,99V).It heppens because on the circuit Data and ACK are connected together.So i can't understand why the software can't initialize interface if ACK changes when data chages.
(In software the is Data In it is always 1).It Means that interface ACK is always on?
Can you explain what happens with ACK during correct initialization?
Thanks.

Im using the same programmer, using IC-Prog n its driver.

1- Download IC-Prog + Driver (place the driver file in IC-Prog Directory).

2- Enable Driver (In IC-Prog > Settings > Options > Misc(tab) > Enable NT/2000/XP Driver

3- Set Hardware (In IC-Prog > Settings > Hardware > Select TAIT Serial Programmer in Programmer list + Check Invert MCLR + Check Invert VCC

4- Check hardware (In IC-Prog > Settings > Hardware Check > Then Enable Each Pin n Check voltages at PIC socket as follow:

Data In/Out - RB7
Clock - RB6
MCLR - MCLR
VCC - VDD

Check n post ur details

I measured all pins using ICprog and here are results:
PIC Not Inserted: PIC Inserted:
VCC: +4.89 (LED is ON) +4.89 (LED is ON)
MCLR: +13.16 (LED is OFF) +13.17 (LED is OFF)
CLOCK: +4.89(Led is OFF) +2.12 (LED is blinking)
DATA: +4.89(LED is OFF) +2.12 (LED is blinking)

The power supply voltage is +16.98V.

When PIC is inerted and Clock od Data enabled the LED is emiting light but not
so bright compared with when VCC is enabled.

I was trying to write HEX file in the pic and it writes but the errror:
Verify failed at address 0000h comes at the end.

When i'm trying to read the PIC only 3FFF are shown.

Well i used WinPic at the beginning and results were the same as with ICprog.
Is it normal when LED is blinking and when pic is inserted and data or clock is enabled?
I can't understand how can data or clock affect the Led.Is it normal or i must check the circuit?

Sh@dow said:
Well i used WinPic at the beginning and results were the same as with ICprog.

Not WinPic, WinPicProg.

Is it normal when LED is blinking and when pic is inserted and data or clock is enabled?
I can't understand how can data or clock affect the Led.Is it normal or i must check the circuit?

Date and Clock can't affect the LED - unless something is wrong?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Not WinPic, WinPicProg.

Date and Clock can't affect the LED - unless something is wrong?.

I checked the circui with digital multimeter and found thet when a pic is inserted and only data or clock are enabled the Q1 transistor collector's potential becomes 1.48 V.Emiter's and base potentials doesn't change.I have a theory that explains that:when PIC Vdd is not enabled,and we sent data or clock (on RB7 or RB9) the pic generates the power (+1.48) and this power makes LED emit light via R6 resistor.Am i right?

The buttons Write Verify are not enabled in WinPicProg.I checked the settings.
As i understand it happens because ACK doesn' change.

Sh@dow said:
The buttons Write Verify are not enabled in WinPicProg.I checked the settings.
As i understand it happens because ACK doesn' change.

Yes, it auto-detects the programmer, if one isn't found, then it disables any options that require the programmer to be present.

It's pointless trying to measure anything with Vdd turned off, you need to turn Vdd on first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back