Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows XP error.... What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfarmerdave

I really don't know where to go to ask this question so I figured with the electronic and software experts here, this would be as good of a place as any. I've gotten the "blue screen of death" on my Windows XP laptop about 5 or 6 times in the past month. I have pasted below what the screen says when displaying the error message with the blue background. I don't understand what to do. The file in question is ati2dvag and I have done a file search for it and found five files with that name throughout my laptop. What do I do now?

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ati2dvag

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000EA (0x84A9BDA8, 0x848A1570, 0xF791DCBC, 0x00000001)

ati2dvag
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

It may be a graphics driver ? Check to see if you can update with a new driver ?

Yup, it's definitely a graphics driver problem: **broken link removed** (or at least a problem with XP and the driver getting out of sync, which boils down to the same thing).

As killivolt suggested, see if you can update your driver. Otherwise try turning down hardware acceleration and see if that helps.

Lots of people in various forums have had limited luck fixing the problem. Some have reported that going to Device Manager => System Devices and changing from the CPU to AGP controller to the PCI-to-PCI bridge helps. Try this at your own risk and YMMV etc. :) http://www.sightsea.com/pghpchd/pages/infinite_loop.html

Good luck!

Torben

Last edited:
1) browser to https://www.ubuntu.com/
2) d/l ISO
3) burn
4a) start windows-based install
4b) reboot to start partitional-based install
5) enjoy liberation

ubuntu ubuntu

Styx said:
1) browser to https://www.ubuntu.com/
2) d/l ISO
3) burn
4a) start windows-based install
4b) reboot to start partitional-based install
5) enjoy liberation

As (Tim the Toolman Taylor) would say .............. hurr-hurr-hurr. Oya ! :D But can we fit a 327 chevy into that mechine ?

i use to get the BSoD all of the time but...... it helps a lot if you format your drive about 5 to 7 times and reinstall that works for me. or........... back up then just reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back