Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows xp - administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi all,

I had several MOBOs of the same kind (ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS), but obviously they are equipped with different chipsets.

CPU is an Intel duo core at 2.93GHz with 4GB of dual channel SDRAM at 800MHz.

Loading windows is a real PITA, since it takes about 15 minutes to get the system running stable with occasional hang-ups.

Although the new support DVD was started to update for the chipset the speed is almost the same - as fast as a sand dune in the Sahara.

Booting from the windows xp CD to repair the system the question for the administrator's name arises, but when installing xp initially no name was given or asked for an administrator.

After not typing in a valid administrator's name the system quits repairing.

What can be done to achieve normal windows loading speeds not more than one minute (max. two)?

Regards

Boncuk

I don't think it asked for administrator's name. It'll be administrator password asked in the recovery console!? In that case default password is blank so just press 'ENTER' it'll go to repair process..

For getting 1-2mins boot time from the current(15mins) I think best option is to execute a disk defragmentation and fresh installation.

Hi Ya Boncuk

As mentioned you should be able to leave the Administrator password field blank and hit Enter and it should continue.

If I may ask, how do you have the system configured? That board should have a single PATA port (ATA 100) that will support 2 devices and four SATA ports. Now if you are using the ATA 100 for example you really don't want the HDD with the OS sgaring that port with optical drives like DVD R / RW. Additionally if using the ATA 100 port for devices the Master / Slave jumpers should be set for devices on the ribbon cable from the port.

Long boot times can also be attributed to the BIOS as how the hardware is configured. Thus I ask about the hardware configuration.

Ron

Hi both of you, transistor495 and Ron,

both of you are wrong when it comes to fill the blanks with the administrator's password. Additionally I guess it is pretty meaningless if a a name or a password is required for the action required.

I can assure you that just hitting the 'ENTER' key will return the system to null function.

I have found out the real reason for the slow windows loading process in the meanwhile.

DDR2-800MHz double sided SD-RAMs require a heatsink to survive. The ones having been sold to me don't have it. Consequently one RAM-bench after another dies because of overheat until there are probably 256KB of memory left. (mainly at ambient temperatures of 36°C)

You will admit, that this tremendeously high memory space will probably suffice to install CP/M (control program for microcomputers 1980) :) BTW, CP/M got along well with 64KB of memory.

As far as I know only Kingston and Infineon procuce heat sinked RAM modules.

If either one of you tries to kick his PC for higher speed at more memory space use only heat sinked RAM modules. :) (at least starting at 800 MHz, for 1066 MHz no 2GB modules are available yet)

Kind regards

Hans

Damn Hans, you got me! I never gave much thought to heat and heat sink on memory. Most of what I have has heat sinks. I also never gave much thought to where Hans lives. :)

Thanks for passing along and sharing.

Ron

Hi both of you, transistor495 and Ron,

both of you are wrong when it comes to fill the blanks with the administrator's password. Additionally I guess it is pretty meaningless if a a name or a password is required for the action required.

I can assure you that just hitting the 'ENTER' key will return the system to null function.

Kind regards

Hans
What I've said is all about the option 'Repair the installation using recovery console' :) ..it's a command interface.

Not your case...I've got confused with both kind of repair options available with Win Xp.

I'm not sure whether it'll ask for admin account details during normal repair procedure. If the computer already has an admin account then it may ask. It's not meaningless. It may play a critical role in certain cases of computer applications. All computers are not personal type!

Hi Ron and transistor,

here is the latest news about my PC.

None of the measures really changed anything remarkable. Windows installed and forgot about the MBR when restarting. (Please insert boot disk and hit any key when ready.)

So tore apart the complete cable work inside the enclosure and dunked the connectors into audio & video cleaner over night. I also sprayed the connectors affixed to every drive. (Better would have been to use "Kontakt-Spray" made by Kontakt-Chemie Denmark which sprays a fine mist of nonconductive corrosion remover over the treated surface.)

Next day I just connected the DVD-drive and the primary IDE-HDD (master) to install windows xp.

Windows installed in record time of 20 minutes (before 2 hours) and started normally, when done.

Next step was connecting the IDE slave, and again windows loaded within two minutes from power on.

I tested that configuration for one day copying, moving and deleting files with absolutely correct data transfer on both HDDs.

Today I connected the first S-ATA HDD and again there was no problem.

Additionally I downloaded "PassMark" performance test and ran the entire benchmark test with excellent results. Using a PCI-EX16 graphic accelerator card NVIDIA g-force 8400 with 512MB RAM on board the 3D graphics test resulted in 250 frames/s at a resolution of 1024X768pixels.

Tomorrow I'll put back the DDR2-800MHz RAM modules assuming they haven't been damaged by overheat (Kingston should know what they design and sell) to test them.

I had temporarily replaced them with DDR2-667MHz modules.

I will further add another S-ATA HDD and test system performance.

Certainly I'll keep you informed about success or failure.

IMO the rotten connectors caused the desaster till now. Power connectors are normally made of brass plated with "new silver" which turns black in humid conditions at high ambient temperatures and more or less starts getting non-conductive. After the treatment they really looked shiny like silver and obviously also they do their job well.

Kind regards

Boncuk (Hans)

Well hell, that's cool. The load times for Windows seem to tell a lot. You have some serious patience Hans. Please do let us know how the system does.

Ron

Hi Ron,

here is another interesting observation I made.

Two days after I had finished taking my system up to speed again my stepdaughter's PC showed the same symptoms I had experienced with mine.

I didn't hesitate and dunked her cables into audio & video cleaner over night.

Believe it or not, the system booted alright after all cables were reconnected the next day.

My advice for anybody experiencing the same "phenomina". Use contact spray for all power and data connectors and your system will wake up again.

Connectors are made as cheap as possible not taking care of humidity and temperature.

Regards

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back