Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows OEM license

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I am planing to buy a laptop in the next days most probably with Windows 7 under an OEM license.

1) Do I have the right to ask for a CD for a full install even if it comes already installed?

2) Besides the sticker attesting the validity of the license what I should expect to be given?

3) Any chance that I could ask for two partitions in the HD?

Have read lot about this but found not the above details.

Question for myself: why all this is always so obscure / obsfuscated for common people?

I would not buy a PC that did not come with the OS CD's. What ya gonna do if it crashes?

My laptop came with a small (~10GB) second "restore" partition and software built into the bios to restore from this partition. It is as good as a CD, for that computer only.

Oh and I also got a sticker :)

Hi,

I know people who bought computers without CD install disks (second partition restore disk instead) but if the disk crashes the second partition crashes too, so what they do is call the manufacturer and get them to send out the install disks. You also have to make sure they send you the product key too or you wont be able to activate the new install once you get back up and running with a new hard disk.

I am planing to buy a laptop in the next days most probably with Windows 7 under an OEM license.

1) Do I have the right to ask for a CD for a full install even if it comes already installed?

No you don't, you haven't paid for a full version.

2) Besides the sticker attesting the validity of the license what I should expect to be given?

Nothing.

3) Any chance that I could ask for two partitions in the HD?

It will come with two, one holds the back-up for the OS.

When you get the laptop one of the first things you do is make recovery discs, and you wil be prompted to do so (it takes 2-3 DVD's) - I haven't seen a new PC (laptop or not) for a number of years that comes with a Windows CD/DVD.

If the sales rep says that said laptop will only run on win$ucks 7 download Knoppix for either 64 or 32 bit depending on the laptop then when he isnt watching reboot the laptop and watch it fly with Knoppix. I was in a dept store and overheard a salesman say the same thing so I wandered up and said this is misleading info and computers are not designed to run a bloated bug ridden system and several other OS's can run fine on any computer you sell. Not surprising I was asked to leave and the lady looking followed me and asked me a few questions. I gave her a card for a mate who custom makes computers and she got a new laptop with XP pro which she wanted at 1/2 the price the dept store was asking.

Now I made my own 64 bit computer and the biggest mistake I did was buy a OEM version of win$ucks 7. Talk about a bug ridden OS and the only suggested fix is to upgrade to the full version at a huge cost. honestly the sales pitch for quicker and more expensive computers is only to cater for that said sad ecuse of an OS. Personally I let my wife have that 64 bit and I run Ubuntu on a old P4 1.6 gig with only 384 meg of ram and it is quicker in a lot of things compared to the 64 bit running a poor excuse but expensive OS that in time will be compared to win$ucks ME.

Sorry if I seem to have gone of the topic but from my experiences with that OEM version I'd stay away from like the plague.....

Cheers Bryan

No you don't, you haven't paid for a full version.

Nothing.

It will come with two, one holds the back-up for the OS.

When you get the laptop one of the first things you do is make recovery discs, and you wil be prompted to do so (it takes 2-3 DVD's) - I haven't seen a new PC (laptop or not) for a number of years that comes with a Windows CD/DVD.

Hi there Nigel,

Are you sure about that? I ask because i know people who got their CD's with no problem. Also, they sell OEM versions on line where you get the CD or DVD right there in the box.

Could it be different from country to country too? i know some other countries have different rules for using Windows altogether such as they have to pay a monthly fee to use it, not a one time buy.

Last edited:
Hi there Nigel,

Are you sure about that? I ask because i know people who got their CD's with no problem. Also, they sell OEM versions on line where you get the CD or DVD right there in the box.

You can buy OEM versions, and persumably some more expensive computers still come provide them, but most computers now don't come with them - you need to make you own recovery discs from the HDD.

The last NINE computers I've bought didn't come with them.

Before worrying about OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) software there are a few things you may want to check on and consider.

In many cases when a system is purchased it will have a partition on the HDD with a full operating system backup. This is all well and fine unless of course you have a HDD failure in which case that restore partition is as useless as teats on a bull. Many manufacturers (HP for example) include the ability to create a full set of system restore disk from within the system. Essentially you are placing that restore partition on a set of CD or DVD disk you create (burn). Many manufacturers also offer a set of system restore disk for an additional cost, so it all comes down to the manufacturer. This is where the savvy buyer does some homework.

As to the term OEM (System Builder) versions of Windows the main difference is support. If I buy a retail version of Windows 7 for example in Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate it comes with support from Microsoft, additionally if I install it on a system and the system fails I can install it on another system. There are other differences. If I choose to buy a OEM or System Builder version of Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate I become my own support. Much like if you buy a Dell system with OEM Dell software. If you have a problem you call Dell and not Microsoft for support (help). In a nutshell (and my nutshell may be wrong) my take is that:

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Anyway, what you get really depends on who made the system and what you pay for.

Much of this just adds to what Nigel already spelled out.

Ron

You can buy OEM versions, and persumably some more expensive computers still come provide them, but most computers now don't come with them - you need to make you own recovery discs from the HDD.

The last NINE computers I've bought didn't come with them.

Hi Nigel,

Oh yes i forgot about the recovery disk making possibility. That's a good thing to mention too. I think that's a viable option to asking for the disks too.

Hi Nigel,

Oh yes i forgot about the recovery disk making possibility. That's a good thing to mention too. I think that's a viable option to asking for the disks too.

If you don't make them, the manufacturer will usually sell you suitable recovery discs, but these aren't Windows install discs and are only suitable for that specific system.

Hi Nigel,

Yes technically they are not actual install disks, but they do allow recovery even after a disk crash, so i think that is worth mentioning as that is surely a viable option for many people.

There is nothing whatsoever illegal about downloading CD images for a version of Windows for which you have a legal license, the "OEM" specific license is nothing more than a qualification for the maker of PC's to get a discount on the licenses, you do not pay for the bits on the disk you pay for the right to use them, if you have a legal license you have a legal right to use a disc replicated from an image regardless of it's source for that specific version of Windows, such as starter basic etc.. etc.. you can not install a different version of Windows other than that which is specifically allowed for your key.

The discs say on them "Do not make illegal copies of this disc" It does not say you can not make legal copies, and using someone else backup is still legal use because you have a license which permits you to use the software. This is why no Windows install disk has come with any kind of hardware protection since windows 95, it is trivial to find such images and I've had to for several systems where backup discs were lost.

From a copy of a disc which did not come with my PC (just the disc) my machine is Windows Genuine validated, that's as much proof as anyone should need. I did a clean install from an OEM disc to avoid the bloat ware that comes on the maker supplied restore discs.

The EULA of Windows software for my machine does state that publishing copys of the software for download is illegal, however downloading them and using them for backup purposes is not.

Last edited:
Hi there Scead,

Perhaps you can answer this question since you seem to know a lot about these OEM versions...

When Windows 7 OEM is installed via legally purchased and fully paid for disk, do they want "activation" right away or do they still give you 30 days to activate the product? And if so any problems with software (like darkened screen) BEFORE you register during that time period?

Last edited:
When Windows 7 OEM is installed via legally purchased and fully paid for disk
You don't pay for the disk, the software isn't the disc, it's on the disk but you don't pay for the software either, the only thing you purchase is the license to use the software. Seriously read the EULA sometime.

I've never had any issues, I always activate immediately. Anyone with a legal license will never have any issues, all it takes is one phone call to Microsoft to fix any issues that could in theory take place from key generators possibly having the same code as you, there are other numbers on those hologram labels that will get you green lit for activation including genuine windows certification.

Last edited:
Hello,

Ok so you must be one of those people who if yesterday i said to you "Happy Easter" you'd say "you cant say that it's not till tomorrow" :)

So you always activate immediately so i guess you dont know what happens if you dont (immediately) then.

Hi Mr. Al

30 days, I just did an install a few weeks ago.

Also, Happy Easter.

Ron

Hi there Ron,

Oh ok great. That's very nice to know. How do you like it so far, say compared to XP Pro?

Happy Easter to you too, have a good one.

I like Windows 7. Ironically it is installed on one of my test boxes so I actually spend more time with Vista. Heck, my old trusty workstation is still running XP Pro. :)

Ron

Hi again Ron,

So far i only had one reason to possibly go to Win 7 from Win XP (yes i skipped Vista and for good reason). That was to get simpler ACHI control for the disk drives, as the SSD drives require TRIM and that apparently requires ACHI. Getting Win XP to work with ACHI requires a lot of finagling which is a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back