Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 7 Remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

At work I connect via Remote Desktop Vista powered machines at work to my home computer running Windows XP Professional. Time to upgrade the home computer and wondering do i need Windows 7 Professional to use Remote Desktop. I am not trying to connect from home to work, but from work to home. Do I really need the professional version of Windows 7 to do this.

Thanks all

The computer you want to connect TO (not FROM) must have Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise, assume that you want to use Windows 7 and Remote Desktop. There are other options, such as GoToMyPC, but it has a monthly charge. Remote Desktop means your home pc will need either a static IP address or a dynamic DNS service such as DynDNS (DynDNS.com - Free Domain Name, Managed DNS, Email Services). The dynamic DNS services can be found for free from other places as well. GoToMyPC doesn't require either a static IP address or a dynamic DNS service.

I don't know anything about Windows 7, but could the OP use VNC on the both ends (or one end?) instead? It may not function as well (?), but it should get the job done (if money is tight, I suppose)...

Thanks Noggin, did some research on the web and looks like you are right and I am out of luck with Win 7 Home

Last edited:
crOsh:

Don't think it would work in my case. I need to connect TO a win 7 home pc. I understand that win 7 home can connect TO other pc's so no advantage to using TightVNC. Wouldn't be able to install tightVNC on the work computer as they are locked down pretty tight.

GoToMyPC may work for you if you don't mind paying a few bucks a month. It is java based (if I remember correctly) so it works from your web browser when you're at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back