Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 7 RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

randall

Hey, I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit and I have 6GB of Kingston HyperX RAM on my motherboard which is a ASUS P6T SE which can have 24GB of RAM, but Windows 7 is only saying there is 4GB of RAM, but when I run CPUZ is says I have 6GB. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Are you sure it is the 64bit win7 and not the 32bit? It sure looks like it is behaving like the 32bit version which has the 4GB limit.

I agree with kchriste, however, if you are sure you are running a 64 bit version of Windows and CPUZ sees in fact all the installed memory I would try a few things.

I would first boot into the BIOS and see how the BIOS identifies your installed memory. Does it see all of it by correct slots? Using your motherboard manual is all the RAM in the correct slots?

Next I would see exactly what Windows is seeing and there are a few ways to check on that. You can navigate to your Windows/System32 folder and look for MSINFO32.EXE and launch it or you can copy and paste the following script into Notepad and run it:

Code:
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.Run "msinfo32.exe"

Place the above code in Notepad and save the file as something like My Info.vbs making sure you add the .vbs file extension or you will be saving a text file. Save to your desktop. Double click the new desktop icon and it will open MS Info where you will see extensive information about your system including RAM. Installed Physical Memory, Available Physical Memory, Virtual Memory and so on.

Many motherboards that support high memory sometimes need a BIOS Update for Windows to see and use the memory so that may be worth a look.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back