Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind-up LED Torch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, rough neighborhood. Never seen a burning car, do they really blow up like in the movies? Hope they catch the *******...

Okay, I know it's analogy. What do you guys call headlights on a car. Don't believe I heard them refered to as torches, think lanterns maybe.

HarveyH42 said:
Wow, rough neighborhood. Never seen a burning car, do they really blow up like in the movies? Hope they catch the *******...

Okay, I know it's analogy. What do you guys call headlights on a car. Don't believe I heard them refered to as torches, think lanterns maybe.
hi,
Sadly its not uncommon in the UK, for a car to be stolen and then 'torched' to burn off any evidence.
They do sometimes blowup, when the 'gas' tank goes!.

The UK name for headlights is the same, IIRC car 'boots', 'bonnets', 'wings' ,'bumpers', 'fenders'....and then we have rear lights, tail lights, side lights..

HarveyH42 said:
I was just giving an example usage of the word torched, my neighbour's car it alright.

I can only remember a car being torched once in our street, it was over 10 years ago and it was a racist attack by some local yobs against an asian bloke who had lived there for years..

most of the supercapacitors out there have so little output current they can't even drive an LED. Maybe several in paralled.

The LIR2032 coin cell is only rated at 35mA at low currents... pretty small.

You know, I had to take that crank light apart. IIRC the crank's current was surprisingly low, like 15mA tops. I had hoped to play around with some other uses but found it couldn't be made to put out much power at all.

The LIR battery has no fire risk that I know of. Keep them, don't try to go with NiMH. NiMH isn't even an especially good choice because detecting end-of-charge isn't really possible without some real tough algorithm.

one of the crank torches i pulled apart had a little battery pack rated for 3.6V at 42ma, i am suprised how long they powered the led's

HarveyH42 said:
What do you guys call headlights on a car.
What do you guys call headlights on a woman?;)

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Well we chuckle at 'flashlight' over here :D - a flash is a very short bright pulse of light, as from a camera flashgun.

Neither is probably very appropriate?.

Very true. Flashlight is no good either. Perhaps blinking flash torch is what we need to clear it all up.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back