Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind Powered Battery Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mad Professor

Making the best use of a light breeze that may not provide enough energy to charge a lead acid accumilator by diverting the available charge to low voltage Ni-Cad's. Plus , it also can limit the generator RPM should the need arise.

Attachments

• hc2.jpg
    hc2.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 3,518
Sure, as it says voltage is proportional to wind speed and most light breezes won't be able to charge at a high current rate. Why not use the overload resistance to heat water as well, water is great for thermal transfer.

How about using a switching regulator with a transformer that could output 13.8V with the current limited to 1A from a wide input voltage range, like 5V to 20V?

A centrifugal device and springs to change the blade angle at different wind speeds I found was the best solution, you can with a bit of cunning increase the blade area at low wind speeds.

forgive me for my ignorance..but im sorta a newbie..the LM334 is a constant current source right??when buying thecomponent, wht should ask for??jus mention 'LM334"???are all components cheap in this circuit??

yes it is and in the circuit it acts as a current limiter and diode for the NiCad batteries, since the LM334 is limited to 10mA output there would be a better way to recharge 4 nicads but the circuit doesn't need much power so I suppose I'd let that one slide through

if you have 3 phase 100 a 200 volt i assume that you use a normal 3 phase electro motor as generator then you can step it down with a transformer to the prefered voltage (it's AC) and then make the charger for you batteries

this charger will be different as the circuit that is posted in this tread

charing of mobile during a train travel

Making the best use of a light breeze that may not provide enough energy to charge a lead acid accumilator by diverting the available charge to low voltage Ni-Cad's. Plus , it also can limit the generator RPM should the need arise.
sir
what do u think ofcharging mobile while travelling through a train,where the problem of 'battery low often makes us angry. can u give me more ideas about this.on making blades of wind generator.can we do it through a microcontroller.

Wind generator blades hanging out of a train create resistance. Some of that resistance may be used to generate electricity. All of that resistance will need to be replaced by the train's engines. The owner of the train will not be pleased to see you stealing his power.

A lot of trains in the UK have sockets inviting people to take power from the train's systems to charge laptops and mobile phones. Some also invite passengers to use the free mobile internet. The amount of power is so small that the train operator doesn't mind. They provide the trains for our convenience, in return for the ticket price, and luxuries such as weather protection, heating or air conditioning and lighting etc are now being added to with electric power and internet.

As you say, it doesn't matter how the power is derived from the motion of the train, it all has to come from the locomotive somehow.

Wind turbines have the advantage that they don't need to wire into the train's systems, so if they jam or short out or something it won't affect anyone else.
(See crop dusters in Ram air turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) However, there is nowhere in the UK that you could safely use one due to the loading gauge restrictions.

Not all trains have luxuries like that.

A sleeper train I travelled on in the Ukraine only had 50VAC sockets for the cleaners, the lighting was so dim you could hardly see where you were going and the toilets were disgusting!

This is what the toilets looked like after they had been cleaned!

Warning: do not open the attachment if you're eating.

Looking at the picture brings back memories of the smell - I'd rather take a dump in a field!

Attachments

• Toilet.jpg
    Toilet.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 696
circuit description

can u give more circuit description. i would like to select this topic as my miniproject.so i needed afew more description about the components and working. what should be the specification of generator?.can u give me further references.

This is what the toilets looked like after they had been cleaned!

Ugh. Bog roll's missin too, innit?

Here in the US we only wish we had passenger trains. Outside of metropolitan rail, there's almost nothing. I've often heard people lament the lack of the option take a train. "I'd rather take a train than fly or drive there," they say.

Can't really be true, of course. Passenger rail would still be a viable concern if even half as many people who say they would take the train actually WOULD take a train.

They did provide bogroll but sometimes it got stolen.

The Ukrainian toilet paper is brown like cardboard.

The one good thing about the sleeper train is it had beds even though the mattresses were vinyl.

We used to have more trains but idiot Dr Beacham (I hope I've spelt that correctly) closed them back in the 60s and there were rumours that it was done to help the car manufacturers.

I've never been to the US but from what I've heard it would benefit from more trains.

We used to have more trains but idiot Dr Beacham (I hope I've spelt that correctly) closed them back in the 60s and there were rumours that it was done to help the car manufacturers.

So the fact it drastically cut losses was just a blind? :p

As it is now the UK rail system is a complete disgrace, with fairly regular major accidents due to incompetent management of the network.

I knew you were going to pipe up then Nigel :D

The Conservative party messed the rail system up even more with a botched privatisation.

Don't get me wrong I think privatising British rail was a good idea but they should have kept the infrastructure under public ownership rather than making it into a separate company.

Don't get me wrong I think privatising British rail was a good idea but they should have kept the infrastructure under public ownership rather than making it into a separate company.

The trouble with public ownership is that it's even more corrupt, more incompetent, and loses lots more money than private ownership.

In general agree but I don't think that's the only reason why public ownership is bad.

Companies are only efficient because they have competition to drive down prices and improve services. If there's no competition then there's no incentive to me more efficient. If everything was publicly owned (like in a communist state) there would be one continuous recession which is what happened in eastern Europe before the regime collapsed.

The problem with British rail was that it was in a monopoly position so it became fat and lazy so the Conservatives decided to split it up into different companies.

The problem with privatising the infrastructure (mainly the track itself) was that Rail track became a monopoly and had no incentive to improve the quality of the track and improve its safety record.

At least if it had remained under public ownership then we could hold the government to blame if something bad happened. :D

I think public ownership in areas where there can't be any competition is a good thing. Our road network is currently under public ownership, can you imagine what would happen if it were privatised?

Where would be the incentive for the company to grit the roads and keep them safe apart from being fined by the government (which would only happen if things got really bad)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back